As a biomedical engineer, my research focuses mainly on mechanobiology or how physical forces and alterations in cell and tissue mechanical properties contribute to physiology, development and disease, especially diabetes. Major research projects include:
- Mechanism by which diabetes alters bone cell mechanosensing, signaling and transduction
- Bone and sensory nervous system
- Osteocyte mechanotransduction
- Mechanosignaling in osteoarthritis
- Bladder mechanotransduction
Training opportunities are available for students and both research and clinical fellows in my laboratory with respect to each of these project areas.