INVITED LECTURES and CME accredited COURSES
1991 Rheumatology Grand Round, "Sympathetically Maintained vs. Sympathetically Independent Pain Syndromes," Cabrini Medical Center, New York Medical College, NY, Lecturer. 1991 Family Medicine Grand Round, "Treatment of Painful Neuropathies," Long Island Medical College, Brooklyn, NY, lecturer. 1993 Maryland Academy of Family Physicians, "Chronic Pain in Cancer," Easton, MD, Lecturer. 1994 Rehabilitation Medicine Grand Round, "Chronic Pain and Analgesia," Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Good Samaritan Hospital, Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1994 Neurology Grand Round, "The Pharmacological Management of Postherpetic Neuralgia," Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, Lecturer. 1995 Neurology Grand Round, "Survey on the Clinical Use of Opioids," Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1995 The Johns Hopkins First Annual Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Update, "Opioids in the Management of Nonmalignant Pain: a Practical Reappraisal," Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1995 Neurology Grand Round, "Opioids for Chronic Pain," North Shore University Hospital-Cornell University Medical College. Manhasset, NY, Lecturer. 1995 American Pain Society, 14th Annual Scientific Meeting, "Zoster and Postherpetic Neuralgia: Pain Mechanisms and Current Management," Professional Development Course, Los Angeles, CA, Lecturer. 1995 Academy of Family Physicians Conference, "Cancer Pain Management," Columbia, MD, Lecturer. 1996 CME activity and course, supported by unrestricted educational grant from Parke-Davis. "Use of Antiepileptic Drugs in the treatment of Chronic Pain Syndromes,¡¨ Houston, TX, faculty contributor. 1996 Clinical Neurosciences Research Seminar, "Opioid Therapy for Chronic Non-Malignant Pain," Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1996 Orthopedic Surgery Grand Round, "Controversies Surrounding the Use of Opioids for Non-Malignant Pain," Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1996 The Johns Hopkins Second Annual Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Update, "Pharmacological Management of the Failed Back Syndrome,¡¨ Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1997 Pain Management Refined, Pain Management Session Type: the Roundtable Meeting, New Approaches. Lutherville, MD, Lecturer. 1997 Grand Round, Mercy Medical Center, Pain Management Refined: New Approaches, Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1997 New Horizons in Rheumatology Symposium, New Analgesics in Chronic Pain Management, Arthritis Foundation and the Florida Society of Rheumatology, Naples, FL, Lecturer. 1997 Neurosurgery Grand Round, Chronic Pain Management, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1997 American Pain Society, 16th Annual Scientific Meeting, Critical Issues of Pharmacology, Biology, and Behavior Psychology in Chronic Opioid Therapy. New Orleans, LA, Lecturer. 1997 CME course supported by unrestricted educational grant from Parke-Davis. Pharmacologic Treatment of Chronic Non-Cancer Pain, Neuroscience Conference, Medical Center of Delaware, Newark, DE, lecturer. 1997 CME course supported by The Purdue Frederick Company. Opioids for Chronic Use, Rheumatology Grand Rounds, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, lecturer. 1997 CME course. The Management of Chronic Pain, Sixth Annual Update on Obstetric Anesthesia and Third Annual Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Update. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, lecturer. 1998 Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Role of Narcotics in the Treatment of Pain, Implications of the Ohio Legislature, Bill 187. Columbus, OH, Lecturer. 1998 Pain Management Refined: New Approaches, Practical Management of Chronic Nonmalignant Pain: Focus on Low Back Pain and Degenerative Joint Disease. San Francisco, CA, Lecturer. 1998 Medical Grand Rounds: Prescription of Narcotics for Non-Malignant Pain. Harbor Hospital, Baltimore MD, Lecturer. 1998 Pain Management Refined: New Approaches Program, Opioid Therapy: Pharmacologic Management of Disabling Back Pain, Fawcett Center, Columbus, OH, Lecturer. 1998 Roxanne Educational Seminar, Neuropathic Pain and Current Treatment Protocols, Mt. Carmel Medical Center, OH, Lecturer. 1998 Ohio Hospice and Palliative Care Monthly Meeting, Cost Effective Opioid Therapy for Pharmacy, Columbus, OH, Lecturer. 1998 Pain Management Refined: New Approaches Program, Chronic Pain in the Primary Care Setting, South Bend, IN, Lecturer. 1998 Pain Management Refined: Opiates: the Myth of Addiction, Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH, Lecturer. 1998 American Pain Society, 17th Annual Meeting, Capsaicin: Understanding the Physiological and Pharmacologic Effects and Uncovering Future Clinical Applications, Symposium, San Diego, CA, Lecturer and Moderator. 1998 Johns Hopkins Medicine, A Woman's Journey, Treating Pain, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1998 CME activity and courses sponsored by an unrestricted educational grant from Athena Neurosciences, Inc. Contemporary Approaches to Managing Pain, Dallas, TX, faculty contributor and lecturer. 1999 CME course. Pain in Cancer and Non-Malignant Pain, Charleston, SC, lecturer. 1999 Maryland Neurological Society, Annual Symposium, Antiepileptic Drugs in the Treatment of Pain, Baltimore, MD, Lecturer. 1999 Global Expert Training (GET) with Roxanne, Controlling Neuropathic Pain in the Hospice Patient, (March 21-26) Madison, WI; Columbus, OH; Detroit, MI; Chicago, IL, Lecturer. 1999 Ortho McNeil Epilepsy Consultant Program, The Use of AEDs for Pain Control, (February 20) Coral Gables, FL, (March 13) Las Vegas, NV, Lecturer. 1999 The John J. Bonica International Symposium on Pain and Suffering, Opiophobia in medicine: revisiting the concepts of physical dependency, tolerance and addiction, Siena, Italy, Lecturer. 1999 2nd International Conference on Mechanisms and Treatment of Neuropathic Pain, Anticonvulsants, Washington DC, Lecturer. 1998 AAN 51st Annual Meeting, Imaging Inflammation in Patients with Migraine Headaches S39.004.Toronto, Canada, Lecturer. 1999 Global Expert Training (GET) with Roxanne, Controlling Neuropathic Pain in the Hospice Patient, (July 30-August 6) Wichita, KS, Tulsa OK, Kansas City, KS, Denver, CO; Trainer and Lecturer. 1999 The John J. Bonica Memorial Symposium on Cancer Pain and Palliative Care, The Use of Adjuvant Medications in the Treatment of Pain (August 17-20, 1999), Mondello (Palermo), Italy, Lecturer. 1999 Rheumatology on the Beach, Aggressive Pharmacological Treatment of Pain (September 29, 1999), Destin, FL, Lecturer. 1999 Educational Seminar with Roxanne Laboratories, Development & Implementation of a Palliative Care & Pain Management Program (September 30, 1999), Indianapolis, IN, Lecturer. 1999 18th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society, Breakfast Roundtable Discussion, Problem-Based, Case-Oriented, Active Learning Discussions on Chronic Pain Management (October 22, 1999), Fort Lauderdale, FL, Lecturer. 1999 Pain Management Strategies for the Primary Care Specialist, Headaches (November 19, 1999), New York, NY, Lecturer. 2000 CME course sponsored by the Southern Medical Association Conference on Pain Management. 2000 CME course sponsored by the Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, Lecturer 2000 CME course sponsored by Beth Israel, Waldorf Astoria, NYC, Lecturer 2000 "The Management of Chronic Pain,¡¨ Occupational and Industrial Orthopedic Center Jan 19, 2000, New York, NY, Lecturer. 2000 Grand Rounds Department of Oncology, "Neuropathic Pain¡¨ Mayo Clinic (February 3, 2000), Rochester, MN, Lecturer. 2000 Grand Rounds Dept of Rehabilitation Medicine, "Neuropathic Pain," Rusk Institute (Feb 9, 2000), New York, NY, Lecturer. 2000 Grand Rounds Dept of Neurology, "Headaches,¡¨ NYU Medical Center (Feb. 11, 2000), New York, NY, Lecturer. 2000 Grand Rounds Department of Rehabilitation Medicine "Spasticity and Painful Spasms," Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center (February 24, 2000), Brooklyn, NY, Lecturer. 2000 Grand Rounds Department of Neurology, ¡§Headaches," Stanford University, California (April 5, 2000) Lecturer. 2000 "Pain Management Overview & Workshop" , Michigan Hospice & Palliative Care Organization (May 1), Lansing, MI, Lecturer. 2000 Morphine in Cancer Pain, The 2nd Seminar on Palliative Medicine, Chengdue, Sichuan, China. Sponsored by AIMS and WHO (May 7-14, 2000). Lecturer. 2000 Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Albert Einstein Montefiore, Bronx, NY. Lecturer 2000 Grand Rounds, Dept of Neurology: Diagnosis of Neuropathic Pain, SUNY at Stony Brook. Lecturer 2000 Grand Rounds Dept of Neurology," Headaches", St. Vincent¡¦s Hospital, NYC, Lecturer 2001 Grandell Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, ¡§Pain Management in the Elderly Population¡¨ Long Beach, Long Island. Lecturer. 2001 Pain Summit, "Management of Chronic Non-Malignant Pain", Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, Ohio. 2001, Lecturer. 2001 Oxford International Centre for Palliative Care Therapeutics Seminar, Oxford University, "Enhancing Opioid analgesia with Opioid antagonists¡¨ May 8-9, Oxford, London. Lecturer. 2001 Boehringer-Ingelheim Global Analgesic Seminar, June 10-13, Siena, Italy, Management of Chronic Disabling Pain. Lecturer. 2002 Hospice of Naples, FL, Cancer Pain: Focus on Neuropathic Pain. Feb. 21, 2002, Naples, FL, Lecturer. 2002 American Pain Society Annual Meeting, The Essential of Pain Management, March 14; Baltimore 2002 Grand Rounds, Dept. of Neurosciences, Neuropathic Pain, University of Rome, ¡§La Sapienza¡¨, Rome, Italy, March 27, 2002; Visiting Professor (March 20-27, 2002) and Lecturer. 2002 Dean Lecture, A New Field of Medicine: Pain Management and Palliative Care, University of Rome, ¡§La Sapienza,¡¨ Rome, Italy; March 27, 2002, Visiting Professor (March 20-27, 2002) and Lecturer. 2002 AAN 54th Annual Meeting, Pain Management: Principles and Practice, Full-Day Course, Denver, CO, April 15, 2002; Non-Opioid Analgesics; Lecturer. 2002 The Southern Pain Society Meeting ¡§Complex Regional Pain Syndromes,¡¨ June 1, 2002, King of Prussia, PA; Lecturer 2002 Grand Rounds, Dept. of Neurology, Partaking in the Decade of Pain Control and Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, July 2, 2002; Lecturer 2002 Grand Rounds, Pain Medicine and Palliative Care, Intravenous Pamidronate for Chronic Back Pain: Preliminary Experience. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital, New York, NY, Dec 5, 2002; Lecturer 2002 Grand Rounds, Rheumatology, Neuropathic Pain, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, Dec 12. 2003 The Southern Clinical Neurological Society, 30th Annual Meeting, Neuropathic Pain: Mechanisms and Treatments, Ixtapa, Mexico; January 23, 2003; Lecturer 2003 Grand Rounds, Dept of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care, Chronic Back Pain, Beth Israel Hospital, New York, NY, January 28, 2003; Lecturer 2003 Educational Course. Pharmacotherapy: Non-Opioid Analgesics in Essentials of Pain Medicine. American Pain Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, March 19, 2003. Lecturer 2003 Work-shop. Pain management. American College of Physicians ¡V American Society of Internal Medicine, NY Chapter Meeting, New York, NY, March 22, 2003. Lecturer 2003 Symposium. Contemporary Inpatient Pain Programs: Protocols and Economic Viability. American Pain Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, March 19, 2003. Course Director. 2003 Symposium, What is RSD / Complex Regional Pain Syndrome? ¡V American Academic of Neurology 55th Annual Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii. April 2003. Course Director and Presenter 2003 Symposium. Pharmacotherapeuthic Options for the Management of Opioid Side Effects. The National Medical Association (NMA) Annual Scientific Assembly and Convention, Philadelphia, Aug 6, 2003. Lecturer. 2004 The Southern Clinical Neurological Society, 31st Annual Meeting, Non analgesic effects of the opioids. Jan 19, 2004. Lecturer 2004 Grand Rounds, Dept. of Neurology at Boston University, Neuropathic Pain. Boston, MA. Feb 10, 2004. Lecturer. 2004 Symposium. "22nd Annual Neurology Symposium", Pain Pharmacotherapy. Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. Springfield, IL March 19, 2004. Lecturer 2004 Dinner Seminar, Pharmacological Management of Chronic Pain. 55th American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting, S.Francisco, CA. April 26th, 2004. Lecturer 2004 Symposium, Pharmacotherapy 2004: Non-Opioid Analgesics. The 2nd Joint Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society and Canadian Pain Society. Vancouver, Canada. May 5-6, 2004. Lecturer 2004 Pri-Med Updates. Treatment of Postherpetic Neuralgia. East Rutherford, NJ. May 14, 2004. Lecturer. 2004 Tenth Annual Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Update, Headaches, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, August 6-8, 2004. Lecturer. 2004 International Association of Industrial Accident (IAIABC) Convention, Pain Management: Helping Injured Workers or Creating Addicts? Medata, Inc., New York, NY, August 10, 2004. Panelist. 2004 JJ Bonica Memorial. III Meeting ACD SIAARTI. Opioid Therapy for noncancer pain. Capo Calava¡¦, Messina, Italy 20-23 September 2004. Lecturer. 2005 American Academy of Pain Medicine, 21st Annual Meeting. Updated Sessions; The Multifaceted Complex regional Pain Syndrome (405); CRPS: Definition, Epidemiology, Clinical Diagnosis, and Pharmacological Options. Palm Spring, CA February 23-27, 2005. Lecturer and Course Director 2005 American Academy of Pain Medicine 21st Annual Meeting. Updated Sessions. Bone Pain: Prevalent, Misunderstood, and Often Undertreated (407). Palm Springs CA, Feb 23-27, 2005. Course Director 2005 The Essentials of Pain Management: Principles and Practice: A Two Day Course For 3rd And 4th Year Residents In Anesthesia, Neurology, Family Medicine, Rehabilitation Medicine. Neuropathic Pain. Sponsored by the American Pain Society, Boston, MA March 30, 2005. Lecturer and Member of the Program Steering Committee 2005 National Football League ¡V Program for Substances of Abuse Meeting. The management of chronic pain with opioid analgesics. Intercontinental Barclay Hotel, NYC, NY May 7, 2005. Lecturer
Peer-Reviewed Articles and Original Communications
1. Pappagallo M, Gaspardone A, Tomai F, Iamele M, Crea F, and Gioffre¡¦ PA. Analgesic Effect of Bamiphylline on Pain Induced by Intradermal Injection of Adenosine. Pain, 53:199-204, 1993.
2. Pappagallo M, Raja SN, Haythornthwaite JA, Clark M, and Campbell JN. Oral Opioid Therapy for the Management of Post Herpetic Neuralgia: a Prospective Survey. Analgesia, 1:51-55, 1994.
3. Pappagallo M and Campbell JN. Chronic Opioid Therapy as Alternative Treatment for Post-Herpetic Neuralgia. Annals of Neurology, 35:S54-56, 1994.
4. Gaspardone A, Crea F, Tomai F, Iamele M, Pappagallo M, Versaci F, Crossman DC, Chiarello L, Gioffre' PA. Substance P Potentiates the Algogenic Effects of the Intra-Arterial Infusion of Adenosine. Journal of American College of Cardiology, 24:477-482, 1994.
5. Davis KD, Meyer RA, Turnquist JL, Filloon TG, Pappagallo M, and Campbell JN. Cutaneous Pretreatment with the Capsaicin Analog NE-21610 Prevents the Pain to a Burn and the Subsequent Hyperalgesia. Pain. 62:373-378, 1995.
6. Davis KD, Meyer RA, Turnquist JL, Filloon TG, Pappagallo M, and Campbell JN. Cutaneous Injection of the Capsaicin Analog, NE-21610, Produces Analgesia to Heat but not to Mechanical Stimuli in Man. Pain, 61:17-26, 1995.
7. Pappagallo M and Heinberg LJ. Ethical Issues in the Management of Chronic Non-Malignant Pain. Seminars in Neurology. 17:3, pp 203-211, 1997. 8. Lavin RA, Pappagallo M, and Kuhlemeier KV. Cervical Pain: a Comparison of Three Pillows. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 78 (2): 193-198, 1997.
9. Robbins WR, Staats PS, Levine J, Fields HL, Allen RW, Campbell JN, and Pappagallo M. Treatment of Intractable Pain with Topical High Large-Dose Capsaicin: Preliminary Report. Anesth Analg, 86(3): 579-583, 1998.
10. Haythornthwaite JA, Menefee LA, Quatrano-Piacentini AL, and Pappagallo M. Outcome of Chronic Opioid Therapy for Non-Cancer Pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 15:185-194, 1998.
11. Pappagallo M. The Concept of Pseudotolerance. J Pharm Care Pain Sympt Control. 6(2): 95-98, 1998.
12. Pappagallo M. An Apparent Interventional Paradox: The Stimulation of the Motor Cortex, a New and Promising Treatment for Intractable Neuropathic Pain. In: Neurology Network. Vol 3, No 6, pp305-8.Dec 1999.
13. Fuchs PN, Pappagallo M, and Meyer RA. Topical EMLA Pre-Treatment Fails to Decrease the Pain Induced by 1% Topical Capsaicin. Pain. Apr. 80 (3): 637-42, 1999.
14. Clark MR, Heinberg LJ, Haythornthwaite JA, Quatrano-Piacentini AL, Pappagallo M, Raja SN. Psychiatric symptoms and distress differ between patients with postherpetic neuralgia and peripheral vestibular disease. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 48:51-57, 2000.
15. Pappagallo M, Oaklander AL, Quatrano-Piacentini AL, Clark MR, and Raja SN. Heterogeneous patterns of sensory dysfunction in postherpetic neuralgia suggest multiple pathophysiological mechanisms. Anesthesiology, Vol 92, No 3, Mar 2000.
16. Pappagallo M. Dickerson ED, Hulka S. Palliative Care and Hospice Opioid Dosing Guideline. Am J Hosp Palliat Care Vol.17, No.6, Nov/Dec; 2000.
17. Dickerson ED, Davis M. Pappagallo M., Benedetti C., Grauer PA., Lycan J. Mirtazepine: Heir Apparent to Amitriptyline. Am J Hosp Palliat Care Vol, 18.No. 1 Jan/Feb; 2001.
18. Davis MP, Dickerson ED, Pappagallo M, Varga J, Shuster, Jr. J, Benedetti C. Palliative Care: Long-Term Solution for Long-Term Care Part 1. Home Care Provid, 2001 Jun; 6(3): 91-7.
19. Davis MP, Dickerson ED, Pappagallo M, Varga J, Shuster J Jr, Benedetti C. Palliative care: A long-term solution for long-term care Part 3: Analgesic therapy (CE). Home Care Provid 2001 Oct; 6(5): 164-70
20. Pappagallo M, Snow B. Pain Medicine and Psychophysics in Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Vol. 20. No, 6. Dec. 2000.
21. Pappagallo M, Rosenberg A, Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Management of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Pain Practice. Vol 1, No 1; pp 11-20; 2001
22. Cox J, Pappagallo M. Contemporary and Emergent Pharmacological Therapies for Chronic Disabling pain Syndromes: Focus on Non-Opioid Analgesia. Expert Rev. Neurotherapeutics. 1(1), 81; 2001
23. Cox JM, Pappagallo M. Modafanil: A Gift to Portmanteau. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. Nov-Dec; 18(6): 408-10; 2001
24. Pappagallo M. Incidence, Prevalence, and Management of Opioid Bowel Dysfunction. The American Journal of Surgery 182; 11S-18S; Nov 2001. 25. Haldey EJ, Pappagallo M. Cardiovascular Events and COX-2 Inhibitors. JAMA. 2001 Dec 12; 286(22): 2808-2813.
26. Pappagallo M, Dickerson ED, Twycross R. Low doses of opioid antagonists enhance morphine analgesia and reduce adverse effects. In: Progress in Palliative Care. Vol 9; 5:194-5. 2001
27. J Cox, Pappagallo M, Pharmacological approach to neuropathic pain: balancing efficacy, safety, and tolerability. In Pain Management Today (McCarberg and Turk Eds). Vol. 2, No. 1, pp1-10. 2002
28. Fine PG, Pappagallo M, Price DD. Clinical advances in pain management: enhanced analgesia through NMDA receptor modulation. In American Journal of Pain Management. Vol 12, No 4, pp1-8S. Oct 2002.
29. Raja SN, Haythornthwaite JA, Pappagallo M, Clark MR, Travison, TG, Sabeen S, Royal RM, Max MB, Opioids versus antidepressants in postherpetic neuralgia: A randomized placebo-controlled trial; Neurology, 2002; 59:1015-1021
30. Mastronardi L, Pappagallo M, Puzzilli F, Tatta C, Efficacy of the morphine-ADCON-L compound in the management of postoperative pain after lumbar microdiscectomy. Neurosurgery. 2002 Mar; 50(3): 518-24
31. Haythornthwaite JA, Clark M, Pappagallo M, Raja SN, Pain Coping Strategies Play a Role in the Persistence of Pain in Post-Herpetic Neuralgia, Pain. 2003 Dec; 106(3): 453-60.
32. Pappagallo M, Newer antiepileptic drugs: possible uses in the treatment of neuropathic pain and migraine. Clin Ther. 2003 Oct; 25(10): 2506-38. Review.
33. Pappagallo M, Haldey EJ: Pharmacological Management of Postherpetic Neuralgia. CNS Drugs 2003; 17(11): 771-780.
34. Pappagallo M, Breuer B, Schneider A, Sperber K, Treatment of Chronic Mechanical Spinal Pain with Intravenous Pamidronate. J Pain and Symptom Manage. Vol. 26:678-683. July, 2003
35. Lussier D, Pappagallo M, 10 most commonly asked questions about the use of opioids for chronic pain. The Neurologist. Vol 10, Number 4, pp 1-4, July 2004
36. Pappagallo M, American Academy of Neurology Practice Parameter: New Drugs, and Some Old Ones, Effective for Postherpetic Neuralgia Journal Watch Neurology November 29, 2004
37. Bennett D, Burton AW, Fishman S, Fortner B, McCarberg B, Miaskowski C, Nash D, Pappagallo M, Payne R, Viscusi E, Wong W. Consensus Recommendations for the Assessment and management of Breakthrough Pain. Part I. Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2005. In Press.
38. Bennett D, Burton AW, Fishman S, Fortner B, McCarberg B, Miaskowski C, Nash D, Pappagallo M, Payne R, Viscusi E, Wong W. Consensus Recommendations for the assessment and management of breakthrough pain. Part II. Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2005 (in press).
39. Breuer B, Sperber K, Wallenstein S, Kiprovski K, Calapa A, Snow B, Pappagallo M: Clinically significant placebo analgesic response in a pilot trial of Botulinum B in patients with hand pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. Pain Medicine 2005 (in press). 40. Breuer B, Goldfarb R, Ongseng F, Pappagallo M: What is the Association between Low Back Pain and Signs of Abnormal Bone Activity Detected by Bone Scans? 2005 (submitted to European Spine Journal)
Educational Material Chapters in Books
41. Pappagallo M. Painful Neuropathies, In: Current Therapy in Neurological Diseases-4, Johnson RT (ed.), Mosby-Yearbook, 1993.
42. Pappagallo M. Analgesics. Biomechanics. Vol.2, 7:26-30, 1995.
43. Pappagallo M. Controlled Clinical Trial to Test Opioids in Neuropathic Pain. Neuroscience Forum. Vol. 5, 1:10-13, 1995.
44. Pappagallo M and Campbell JN. The Pharmacologic Management of Chronic Back Pain. In: The Adult Spine: Principle and Practice, Raven Press, 2nd edition. Frymoyer JW, Editor-in-chief. pp 275-286, 1997.
45. Pappagallo M and Campbell JN. The Medical Treatment of Chronic Back Pain: The Role of Opioid Therapy and the Use of Nonopioid Analgesics, In: Spine: State of the Art Reviews. Kostuik JP (ed). pp 1-13, Hanley & Belfus, Inc., Philadelphia, 1997.
46. Pappagallo M. Commentary on: Migraine Associated with Head Trauma, by Russell MB and Olsen J. The Pain Medicine Journal Club Journal, Vol 3, No 2, pp 66-68, 1997.
47. Pappagallo M. Water Pillow Softens Pain in the Neck. Modern Medicine, 65:5, pp 26, 1997.
48. Pappagallo M. Commentary on: Intravenous Guanethidine in Patients with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy by Kaplan R, et al. The Pain Medicine Journal Club Journal, Vol 3, No 6, 278-280, 1997.
49. Williams VB, Pappagallo M. Entrapment Neuropathies. In: Essentials of Pain Medicine. Raja SN, Benson HT (Eds). Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 1998.
50. Williams V, Pappagallo M. Central Pain. In: Essentials of Pain Medicine. Raja SN, Benson HT (Eds). Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 1998. 51. Pappagallo M. Water-Based Pillow for Relief of Neck Pain. Mature Medicine Vol 1, No 1, 34-35, 1998.
52. Pappagallo M. Commentary on: Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type I (RSD): Pathology of Skeletal Muscle and Peripheral Nerve by van der Laan, L. et al. The Pain Medicine Journal Club Journal, Vol 4, No. 5, 184-185, 1998.
53. Campbell JN, Pappagallo M, Robbins W, and Staats P. Capsaicin revisited as a treatment for neuropathic pain. In: Novel Targets in the Treatment of Pain. IBC Publishers, Southborough, MA. 1999.
54. Pappagallo M. Aggressive Pharmacologic Treatment of Pain. In: Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. W.B. Saunders Co. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. Feb. 25 (1): 193-213, 1999.
55. Pappagallo M. The Pain in Migraine is Not Mainly in the Brain. In: Johns Hopkins Physician Update. Vol 11:3, pg. 2, June 1999.
56. Pappagallo M. Inside Answers on Migraine. In: The Johns Hopkins Health Insider. Vol 2:10, pg. 8, October 1999.
57. Pappagallo M. Complex Regional Pain Syndromes. In Management of Neuropathic Pain Syndromes: Supplement to Neurology Reviews. March 2000.
58. Pappagallo M. The Diagnosis and Management of Neuropathic Pain. In: Handbook of Pain Management (3rd Edition) Tollison CD Ed. Dec. 2001
59. Davis MP, Dickerson ED, Pappagallo M, Varga J, Shuster J Jr, Benedetti C. Palliative care: Long-term solution for long-term care Part 2: Types of pain: A review (CE). Home Care Provid, 2001 Aug; 6(4): 126-33.
60. Pappagallo M, Dickerson Ed, Varga J, Cox JM, Benedetti C, Davis M. Management of Neuropathic Pain in Palliative Practices from A ¡V Z for the Bedside Clinician (Kuebler KK and Esper P Eds) Oncology Nursing Society, Pittsburgh. Pp 247-253. 2002
61. Pappagallo M, Dickerson Ed, Varga J, Cox JM, Benedetti C, Davis M, Esper P. Pain in Palliative Practices from A ¡V Z for the Bedside Clinician (Kuebler KK and Esper P Eds) Oncology Nursing Society, Pittsburgh. Pp 185-192. 2002
62. Pappagallo M, The clinical expert: controversies in neuropathic pain, Summer 2002, Vol. II, No 2, pp 1-8, by www.emergingsolutionsinpain.com, MediCom Worldwide, Inc 2002
63. Pappagallo M, (Editor), The Neurological Basis of Pain, McGraw-Hill Professional, New York. Hardback, 840 pages, 2005
64. Pappagallo M, Peripheral Neuropathic Pain. In: The Neurological basis of Pain; Chapter 23 (Pappagallo M. Editor). McGraw-Hill Professional, New York. 2005
65. Knotkova H, Pappagallo M, Pharmacology of Pain Transmission and Modulation. In: The Neurological Basis of Pain; Chapter 3 (Pappagallo M. Editor). McGraw-Hill Professional, New York. 2005
66. Chun-Su Yuan, Pappagallo M. Introduction. In: Opioid Bowel Dysfunction (Ed. by Chun-Su Yuan). Approx. 290 pp. with Index. The Haworth Press, Inc. In Press. Fall 2005
67. Ysmael Yap, Pappagallo M. The Epidemiology of Opioid Bowel Dysfunction. Chapter 4. In: Opioid Bowel Dysfunction (Ed. by Chun-Su Yuan). Approx. 290 pp. with Index. The Haworth Press, Inc. In Press. Fall 2005
68. Stern M, Sperber K, Pappagallo M. Tramadol. Chapter 14, Section IV. In: Pain Medicine & Management: Just the facts ((Eds: Wallace MS, Staats PS). McGraw-Hill. New York. Pp 63-67. 2005
69. Pappagallo M. Difficult Pain Syndromes: Bone Pain, Visceral Pain, Neuropathic Pain. For The 3rd Edition of Principles and Practice of Palliative Care and Supportive Oncology (Eds: Berger AM, Von Roenn JH, Shuster JL). In Preparation. 2005
70. Pappagallo M. Adjuvants for pain. For: Pain and Chemical Dependency, (Eds: Howard Smith and Steven Passik), to be published by Oxford University Press, in preparation, 2005.
1999 U.S. Patent No. 5,962,532 issued on 10/5/99 and licensed; Therapeutic Method with Capsaicin and Capsaicin Analogues - Inventors: Campbell JN, Pappagallo M, and Meyer R.
2001 U.S. Patent No. 6,248,788 issued on 6/19/01 and licensed; Therapeutic Method with Capsaicin and Capsaicin Analogues ¡V Inventors: Robbins W, Staats P, and Pappagallo M.
2003 U.S. Patent Application No: 10/435,504. Method for therapeutic treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome - Inventors: Pappagallo, M; Breuer, B
2003 U.S. Patent Application No: 10/624,942. Treatment of spinal mechanical pain - Inventor: Pappagallo, M.
2005 U.S. Patent Application No: 10/496,451 (projected publication date July 7, 2005). Management of Postoperative Pain ¡V Inventors: Pappagallo M, Mastronardi L