We are pleased to announce that the 2019 JINRA awardee is Hayden Hatch from the Secombe Lab
Past JINRA awardees are Hannah Monday (Castillo Lab) and Mathieu Bordenx (Cuervo Lab), Laura Cheney (Berman Lab), Todd Rubin (Lipton Lab), Randy Stout (Spray Lab), and Steven Cook & Leo Tang respectively from the Emmons and Buelow Labs; and finally, Ali Zahalka from the Frenette Lab.
The Junior Investigator Neuroscience Research Award is a competitive award that provides funding for Albert Einstein College of Medicine PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows performing neuroscience-related research. This award provides resources for a neuroscience-related research project that complements the applicant’s current research. An additional purpose is to promote scientific communication, grantsmanship and engagement in a peer-review process among neuroscience students and postdocs.
To be eligible for this award:
- You must currently be an Einstein PhD student or postdoctoral fellow conducting neuroscience-related research, in good standing with your department.
- The proposed project should not contain materials from any of you or your mentor’s current, previous, or pending grants.
- You should not be a previous recipient of this award.
Timeline for 2018 submission (review dates subject to change)
|| Round 1
|Letter of Intent Deadline
||March 15, 2019
|Final Submission Deadline
||April 19, 2019
|Scientific Merit Review
||May 29, 2019
|Notification of Award
||Before June 1, 2019
|Amount of Award
||up to $10,000
- Award Stipulations: Each award is for up to $10,000 for a project that can be one or two years in total duration. Laboratory equipment, reagents, or shared facility costs constitute appropriate use of this fund. Items such as personal computers do not. The funds are not to be used for defraying costs of attending a scientific conference.
- Applicants should follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide.
- The application must be submitted electronically as a single PDF file to email@example.com by the posted deadline.
- Email subject must include "Neuroaward" to be forwarded properly to the review committee.
- The application must include the following items (note links for specific files/formats):
Specific Aims (1 page)
Research Strategy (3 pages)
Updated NIH biosketch (5 page limit)
Budget (1 page - see FAQ)
Facilities & Other Resources (1 page)
Bibliography & References Cited
Information for Reviewers
- March 12, 2019 - Study Section Training Session - Signup here (9-11AM, Price 251)
- May 29, 2019 - Study Section -Signup here (12-5PM, K901)
Core Values of Peer Review
Definitions of Scoring Criteria
CSR NIH Grant Review Process Videos
CSR Reviewer Resources
NIH Guidance for Reviewers
Writing an effective critique
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: For the budget, should we fill out the PHS398 budget form, or just have a text page within the grant listing the planned costs?
A: The PHS398 Budget page asks for a lot of information not applicable to this grant application. While it is an essential part of your training as a future PI to familiarize yourself with these NIH applications and forms, for the JINRA application, a page within the application listing the planned costs with justification should do. You can fill out the budget form linked here.
Q: I did not submit a letter of intent. Can I still submit a grant application?
A: Yes. Grant proposals submitted by the deadline will be accepted, even if a letter of intent was not submitted.
Q: I submitted an application for JINRA in a previous round that was not funded. Can I resubmit the application?
A: Yes. One resubmission of an application is allowed. Refer to NIH guidelines on resubmission here.
You must include an introduction for all resubmission that:
- summarizes substantial additions, deletions, and changes to the application
- individual changes do not need to be identified within other application attachments (e.g. do not need to bold or italicize changes in Research Strategy)
- responds to the issues and criticism raised in the previous application
- is one page or less in length
Additional questions or concerns? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.