Dr. Galen graduated from Brown University with honors in the biological sciences and earned an M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine. He trained in internal medicine at Yale University where he was elected to the Gold Humanism Honor Society and was the class speaker at residency graduation. He joined Montefiore and Einstein in 2013 as an inpatient teaching attending.
Dr. Galen is currently the Director of Ultrasound and Procedure training as well a core faculty member in The Einstein/Montefiore Internal Medicine Residency Program. In 2015 Dr. Galen received the Sharon R. Silbiger Faculty Teaching Award from the Einstein residents. He has led over 50 resident teaching conferences in his short time at Einstein and worked to formalize curricula for bedside procedures such as lumbar puncture (LP). Dr. Galen is passionate about medical case reports and he has mentored residents and former residents in the process of publishing cases in a variety of venues. He has published over 20 articles in peer reviewed journals as well as a review article on sepsis and an intern survival guide.
1. Galen BT. Approaching end-of-life with aplomb and plombage. J Gen Intern Med. 2016. doi: 10.1007/s11606-016-3828-6 [doi].
2. Galen BT. Refractory hypoglycemia at the end of life treated with continuous dextrose infusion through ambulatory infusion pump. J Palliat Med. 2016;19(8):802. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2016.0144 [doi].
3. Galen BT. Underpad weight to estimate urine output in adult patients with urinary incontinence. J Geriatr Cardiol. 2015;12(2):189-190. doi: 10.11909/j.issn.1671-5411.2015.02.016 [doi].
4. Galen BT, Fogerty RL, Juthani-Mehta M. Don't order a test just because you can. South Med J. 2015;108(5):251-253. doi: 10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000279 [doi].
5. Galen BT, Sankey C. Sepsis: An update in management. J Hosp Med. 2015. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2435 [doi].
6. Galen BT, Schnobrich DJ. Pocket-sized ultrasound for physical diagnosis. J Gen Intern Med. 2015. doi: 10.1007/s11606-015-3318-2 [doi].
7. Zheng Q, Galen BT. Wellens' syndrome in an elderly patient with dementia. J Gen Intern Med. 2015. doi: 10.1007/s11606-015-3251-4 [doi].
8. Galen BT. Inpatient end-of-life decisions informed by definitive diagnosis. J Palliat Med. 2014. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2014.0319 [doi].
9. Galen BT. The impact of cost displays on ordering. J Gen Intern Med. 2014;29(10):1331-014-2944-4. doi: 10.1007/s11606-014-2944-4 [doi].
10. Galen BT, Banach DB, Gitman MR, Trow TK. Meningoencephalitis due to gemella haemolysans. J Med Microbiol. 2014;63(Pt 1):138-139. doi: 10.1099/jmm.0.063347-0 [doi].
11. Galen BT, Federman DG. Large tophi and nodal arthritis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2014;20(6):336. doi: 10.1097/RHU.0000000000000144 [doi].
12. Galen BT, Rose MG. Darier's sign in mastocytosis. Blood. 2014;123(8):1127.
13. Galen BT, Siegel MD. Sedation interruption for mechanically ventilated patients. JAMA. 2013;309(10):981-982. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.1004 [doi].
14. Galen BT. Is pocket ultrasound ready for prime time? Crit Care. 2012;16(6):436. doi: 10.1186/cc11827 [doi].
15. Galen BT. In support of residency training at an academic veterans hospital. Acad Med. 2012;87(8):993-994. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e31825ccb4f [doi].
16. Galen BT. Post-test probability according to prevalence. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26(10):1090; author reply 1091. doi: 10.1007/s11606-011-1787-5 [doi].
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.