1. Keep Chair of the Editorial Board and Editor-in-Chief apprised of everything coming to and going from The Einstein Journal of Biology and Medicine (EJBM).
2. Answer the phone in the EJBM office and answer email to the EJBM. Assist any people who may want to submit a manuscript to the EJBM.
3. Insure that all authors receive at least two copies of the EJBM. In addition, the publisher of books reviewed by the EJBM should also receive at least two copies of the EJBM with the exact page numbers on which the review of their book is published.
4. Obtain the official copyright of each issue by completing the Short Form SE as well as enclosing the appropriate fee and number of journals.
5. Coordinate the flow of manuscripts within the EJBM. Send out Article Status Report every week to all members of the Executive Editorial Board.
A. Upon receive a manuscript from an Author or a Member of the Executive Editorial Board:
1. Log the manuscript into the Article Status Report.
2. Make a folder with the following information (Manuscript Number, Title, Authors, Authors' Contact Information, Overseeing Member of the Executive Editorial Board, Student Editor, Faculty Reviewer
B. Have Editor-in-Chief Assign and overseeing member of the Executive Editorial Board.
C. When a member of the Executive Editorial Board assigns a Student Editor update the Article Status Report and send a copy of the manuscript to the Student Editor.
D. When Student Editor assigns a Faculty Reviewer update the Article Status Report and send a copy of the manuscript, the appropriate Faculty Reviewer Forms as well as a letter giving the Faculty Reviewer three weeks to review the manuscript and return to the EJBM.
E. If a Faculty Reviewer’s comments are late, email and/or call the referee as necessary.
F. When the Faculty Reviewer’s comments arrive update the Article Status Report and send a letter to the Author regarding the Faculty Reviewer’s comments. If it is anything other that Rejected, wait appropriate time for revisions:
1. Accepted without revisions No Deadline Required
2. Accepted with major revisions Two Weeks to Make Revisions
3. Accepted with minor revisions Three Weeks to Make Revisions
4. Rejected No Deadline Required
G. If an Author’s revisions are late, email and/or call the referee as necessary.
H. When the revised manuscript arrives update the Article Status Report; format the revised manuscript appropriately; send a copy of the revised manuscript and Faculty Reviewer’s comments (one copy of each Reviewer Form) to the Student Editor for proof reading by the Student, Faculty, and Associate Editor; take any figures and/or tables to the Graphic Arts Department and have them make black and white 2-5 X 7 prints of each; place on the back of each 2-5 X 7 the appropriate information (i.e., Manuscript Number and Authors), if necessary, obtain approval for use of color from the Chair of the Editorial Board; and for figures and/or tables that are not original, obtain “copyright approval.”
I. Make appropriate changes in the manuscript as documented by the Student, Faculty, and Associate Editors if necessary.
J. Send manuscript to Editor-in-Chief for final review.
K. Make appropriate changes in the manuscript as documented by Editor-in-Chief.
L. Send manuscript to the Author for final approval.
M. Assemble approved articles with Editor-in-Chief for the next issue. Try to keep the pages between 48 and 52.
N. Obtain Cover Picture for issue from Associate Editor of Production.
O. Obtain "Cover to Cover" for each manuscript in an issue from the Student Editors and send to Faculty Editor in charge of the "Cover to Cover" for editing and assembly.
P. Review all standard materials that are to published within the EJBM (e.g., Masthead, Instructions for Authors, etc.).
Q. Send letter to Publisher with all articles to be printed on disk and all figures and/or tables. Remember to make a copy of all materials that are sent to the Publisher whether hard or electronic.