Associate Professor, The Saul R. Korey Department of Neurology (Pain & Palliative Care)
PUBLICATIONS: Original Communications in Peer-Reviewed Journals:
1. Breuer B, Friedman SM, Millner ES, Kane MA, Snyder RH, Maynard JE: Transmission of hepatitis b to classroom contacts of mentally retarded carriers. JAMA, 254: 3190-3195, 1985.
2. Sorock G, Bush T, Golden A, Fried LP, Breuer B, Hale W: The relationship between exercise and fracture incidence in a free-living elderly cohort. The Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 43:M134-139, 1988.
3. Bartfield JM, Gennis P, Barbera J, Breuer B, Gallagher EJ: Buffered versus plain lidocaine as a local anesthetic for simple laceration repair. Ann Emergency Med, 19:1387-1389, 1990.
4. Pace WB, Cosgrove JM, Breuer B, Margolis IB: Interoperative cholangiography Revisited. Arch Surg 127:448 50 1992.
5. Smoller SW, Davis B, Breuer B, Alderman M, Blaufox MD, Chang CJ, Langford HG: Differences in precision of dietary estimates among different population subgroups. Annals of Epidemiol, 3:619-628, 1993.
6. Breuer B, Kash K, Rosenthal G, Diemer K, Osborne MP, Miller DG: Reporting bilaterality status in first degree relatives with breast cancer: A validity study. Genetic Epidemiology, 10:245-256, 1993.
7. Breuer B, DeVivo I, Luo J, Smith S, Pincus M, Tatum A, Dauscher J, Minick R, Osborne MP, Miller DG, Nowak E, Cody III HS, Niman R, Carney W, Brandt-Rauf P: ErbB-2 oncoprotein in sera and tumors of breast cancer patients. Med Sci Res, 21:383-384, 1993.
8. DeVivo I, Breuer B, Smith S, Milling C, Pincus M, Tatum A, Dauscher J, Niman R, Minick R, Osborne MP, Miller DG, Nowak E, Cody H, Brandt-Rauf P: Detection of serum c-myc oncoprotein in cancer patients by immunoblot. Med Sci Res, 21:345-347, 1993.
9. Breuer B, DeVivo I, Luo J-C, Smith S, Pincus MR, Tatum AH, Daucher J, Minick R, Miller DG, Nowak EJ, Cody III HS, Niman H, Carney WP, Brandt-Rauf P W: erbB-2 and myc oncoproteins in sera and tumors of breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, & Prevention, 3:63-66, 1994.
10. Libow L, Neufeld R, Olson E, Breuer B, Starer P, : Sequential outbreak of influenza a and b in a nursing home: Efficacy of vaccine and amantadine. J Am Geriatr Soc, 44:1153-1157, 1996.
11. Cohen C, Neufeld RR, Dunbar J, Pflug L, Breuer B: Old problems, different approaches: alternatives to physical restraints before and after a clinical intervention program. J Gerontol Nursing, 22:23-29,1996.
12. Breuer B, Smith S, Osborne MP, Simons RM, Carney WP, Brandt-Rauf P: ErbB-2 protein levels in healthy, asymptomatic women. Biomarkers, 1:141-143, 1996.
13. Shah P, Neufeld R, Likourezos A, Epstein D, Tamres D, Libow LS, Breuer B: Do advance directives have an impact in a nursing home? Nursing Home Medicine: The Annals of Long-Term Care, 5(9):302-307, 1997.
14. Breuer B, Subramaniam G, Marchello V, Giambanco, V: A Study of the Effects of Tamoxifen in the Frail Elderly: Difficulties Encountered in Nursing Home Research. Women & Health, 25(1):37-51, 1997.
15. Ziemba C, Foster G, Neufeld R, Breuer B: Haloperidol Holiday: Is it a beneficial vacation for some nursing home residents? Clinical Gerontologist, 17: 15-24, 1997. 16. Breuer B, Wallenstein S, Feinberg C, Libow LS; Assessing life expectancies of elderly, frail nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc, 46:954-962,1998.
17. Breuer B, Smith S, Thor A, Edgerton S, Osborne MP, Minick R, Cody HS, III; Nowak E, Cortese A, Simmons RM, Carney WP, Brandt-Rauf PW: erbB-2 protein in sera and tumors of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment;49:261-270,1998.
18. Breuer B, Wallenstein S, Anderson R: Effect of tamoxifen on bone fractures in elderly nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc;46:968-972,1998.
19. Marin DB, Breuer B, Marin ML, Silverman J, Schmeidler J, Greenberg D, Flynn S, Mare M, Lantz M, Libow L, Neufeld R, Alsteil L, Davis KL, Mohs RC: The relationship between apolipoprotein e, dementia, and vascular illness. Atherosclerosis, 140:183 - 80, 1998.
20. Neufeld R, Libow LS, Foley WJ, Dunbar JM, Cohen C, Breuer B: Restraint reduction reduces serious injuries among nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc, 47:1202-1207,1999.
21. Breuer B, Anderson R: The relationship of tamoxifen with dementia, depression and dependence in activities of daily living in elderly nursing home residents. Women & Health 31:71-85. 2000.
22. Levine JM, Hammond M, Marchello V, and Breuer B. Changes in bedrail prevalence during bedrails-reduction initiative. J Am Med Dir Assoc 1:34-36, 2000. 23. Breuer B, Trungold S, Martucci C, Wallenstein S, Likourezos A, Libow LS: Relationships of sex hormone levels to dependence in activities of daily living in the frail elderly. Maturitas 39:147-159, 2001.
24. Lesser G, Kandiah K, Libow L S, Likourezos A, Breuer B, Marin D, Mohs R, Hartounian V Neufeld R. Elevated serum total and LDL cholesterol in very old patients with Alzheimer¡¦s disease. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Disord 12:138-145,2001. 25. Breuer B, Martucci C, Wallenstein S, Likourezos A, Libow LS, Peterson A, Zumoff B. The relationship between endogenous levels of sex hormones and cognition and depression in frail, elderly women. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry10: 311-320, 2002.
26. Manfredi PL, Breuer B, Meier DM, Libow L. Pain assessment in elderly patients with severe dementia. J Pain Symptom Manage 25:48-52, 2003.
27. Pappagallo M, Breuer B, Schneider A, and Sperber K: Treatment of chronic mechanical spinal pain with intravenous pamidronate. J Pain Symptom Manage 26 (1):678-683, 2003.
28. Manfredi PL, Breuer B, Wallenstein, S. Stegmann M, Bottomley G, Libow L. Opioid treatment for refractory agitation in patients with advanced dementia. Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry 18:700-705, 2003.
29. Huang ZB, Neufeld RR, Likourezos A, Breuer B, Khaski A, Milano E et al. Sociodemographic and health characteristics of older Chinese on admission to a nursing home: a cross-racial/ethnic study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003; 51(3): 404-409.
30.Breuer B, Sperber K, Wallenstein S, Kiprovski K, Calapa A, Snow B, Pappagallo M: Clinically significant placebo analgesic response in a pilot trial of botulinum b in patients with hand pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. Pain Medicine 2006; 7(1): 16-24.
31. Breuer B, Pappagallo M, Portenoy R: U.S. Board-certified pain physician practices: Uniformity & census data of their locations. The Journal of Pain, 2007;8(3)244-250.
32. Breuer B, Pappagallo M, Knotkova H, Guleyupoglu N, Wallenstein S, Portenoy RK: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Trial of Lamotrigine for Central Pain Due to Multiple Sclerosis. Clin Ther, 2007;29(9) 2022-2030 (DOI information: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2007.09.023).
33. Breuer B, Goldfarb R, Ongseng F, Pappagallo, M: What is the Association between Low Back Pain and Signs of Abnormal Skeletal Metabolism Detected by Bone Scans? Pain Med. 2008;9 (2):222-226.
34. Breuer B, Pappagallo M, Ongseng F, Chen CI, and Goldfarb R. An open-label pilot trial of ibandronate for complex regional pain syndrome. Clin J Pain, 2008;24 (8):685-689.
35. Pappagallo M, Yanow J, Sanchez A, Lin H, Dorfman D, Tai J, Breuer B: Chronic Non-Specific Low Back Pain: Role of Vitamin D and Parathyroid Hormone. (In progress).
36 Breuer B, Portenoy RK, Cruciani R: Pain management care provided by acupuncturists, chiropractors, primary physicians and pain physicians: A national survey. South.Med J. 2010; 103 (8):738-747.
37. Breuer, B: The Epidemiology of Pain, In: Pappagallo M (ed): The Neurological Basis of Pain, McGraw-Hill (2005)
Published abstracts and letters:
38. Breuer B: Models that Predict the Risk of Developing Breast Cancer (letter). J Natl Cancer Inst, 82:1853-1854, 1990.
39. Breuer B, Miller DG, Salane M, Wolfe JN: Mammographic Parenchymal Patterns and Family History of Breast Cancer (letter). Cancer, 69:602, 1992.
40. Alvarez I, Kaminska-Eddy B, Mouradian J, Breuer B, Zuna R: Impact of Carcinoma in situ (CIS) on DNA Ploidy Analysis of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of the Breast (Abstract). Laboratory Investigation, 68:11A, 1993.
41. Zuna RE, Breuer B, Stein J, Cohn K: DNA Ploidy of Colorectal Carcinoma by Image Analysis (Abstract). Cytometry, 14(Suppl 6):32A, 1993.
42. Breuer B, Kash KM, Rosenthal G, Diemer K, Miller DG: Reports on the Laterality Status of Breast Cancer in First Degree Relatives: How Often are They Correct? (Abstract). Psycho-Oncology V: Psychosocial Factors in Cancer Risk and Survival, p.176 (1993).
43. Breuer, B: Determination of Causality (letter). J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 43:82-83,1995
44. Breuer B, Wallenstein S, Feinberg C, Libow, LS: A Model that Predicts Survival in Elderly Nursing Home Residents. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 45:S33, P91, 1997.
41. Si M, Huang Z, Likourezos A, Kim W, Breuer B: Predicting Functional Status Twenty Days after Admission to a Nursing Home S5bacute Unit. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 45:S80, P277, 1997.
46. Breuer B, Anderson R: The effects of tamoxifen on independence in ADLs and on the risk of developing Alzheimer¡¦s disease in nursing home residents. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 46: S27, P41, 1998.
47. Breuer B, Wallenstein S, Trungold S, Likourezos A, Martucci C, Libow L: Endogenous levels of sex hormones and ADL, depression, and cognition in nursing home residents. (Abstract). The Gerontologist, 39 (Special Issue 1), 334, p.518-519, 1999.
48. McCurdy LD, Breuer B, Lebow L, Bernstein J, Desnick RJ, Eng CM: Age-related differences in heterozygote frequencies of mutations commonly found in the Ashkenazi Jewish population. (Abstract). Am J Hum Genet 65: (4) A390-A390 Suppl. S Oct 1999
49. B Breuer, K Sperber, Wallenstein,K Kiprovski,A Calapa,B Snow, M Pappagallo: Can muscle needling relieve hand pain in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome? The Journal of Pain, 5(suppl 3) Abstract 774, 2004
50. B Breuer, R Goldfarb, F Ongseng, M Pappagallo: What is the Association between Low Back Pain and Signs of Abnormal Bone Activity Detected by Bone Scans? The Journal of Pain 2005; (abstract 312-G09), p. S3
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
Beth Israel Medical Center
120 East 16th Street , Room 12th Floor
New York, NY 10003