Hyeon Sook Suh, M.D.
We study the role of microglia and astrocytes in neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration induced by HIV using a model of primary human brain cultures and several in vivo mouse models. We examine the involvement of cytokines and chemokines in modulating HIV infection, as well as signal transduction pathways that are activated by HIV in these cells. Another area of our interest is a mechanism of human glial activation related to growth factor proteins in CNS inflammation and infection.
- Kim MO, Suh HS, Brosnan CF, and Lee SC: Regulation of RANTES/CCL5 expression in human astrocytes by IL-1 and IFNb. J. Neurochem 2004, 90:297-308.
- Suh HS, Kim MO, and Lee SC: Inhibition of GM-CSF signaling and microglial proliferation by anti-CD45RO: role of Hck tyrosine kinase and PI3K/Akt. J. Immunol.2005 Mar 1; 174(5): 2712-9.
- Rivieccio MA, John GR, Song X, Suh HS, Zhao Y, Lee SC and Brosnan CF: The cytokine IL-1beta activates IFN response factor 3 in human fetal astrocytes in culture. J. Immunol. 2005 Mar 15; 174(6): 3719-26.
- Kim K, Li L, Kozliwski K, Suh HS, Cao W, and Ballermann BJ: The protein phosphatase-a targeting subunit TIMAP regulates LAMR1 phosphorylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005: 338; 1327-34.
- Kim MO, Suh HS, Si Q, Terman BI, and Lee CS: Anti-CD45RO suppresses HIV-1 replication in microglia: role of Hck tyrosine kinase and implications for AIDS dementia. J. Virol 2006: 80; 62-72.
- *Rivieccio MA, *Suh HS, Zhao Y, Zhao ML, Lee SC, and Brosnan CF: TLR3 ligation activates an antiviral response in human fetal astrocytes: a role for viperin/cig5. J. Immunol 2006 Oct 1; 177(7):4735-41. *equal contribution
- Cosenza-Nashat MA, Kim MO, Zhao ML, Suh HS and Lee CS: CD45 Isoform Expression in Microglia and Inflammatory Cells in HIV-1 Encephalitis. Brain Pathology 2006 Oct; 16(4):256-65
- Suh HS, Zhao ML, Rivieccio MA, Choi S, Connolly E, Takikawa O, Brosnan CF and Lee SC: Astrocyte indoleamine 2, 3 dioxygenase (IDO) is induced by the TLR3 ligand poly IC: mechanism of induction and role in anti-viral response. J. Virol. 2007 Sep; 81(18):9838-50.
- Cosenza-Nashat M, Zhao ML, Suh HS, Morgan J, Natividad R, Morgello S and Lee SC: Expression of the translocator protein of 18 kDa by microglia, macrophages and astrocytes based on immunohistochemical localization in abnormal human brain. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2009 Jun;35(3):306-28
- Suh HS, Brosnan CF and Lee SC: Chapter 9: TLRs in CNS viral infections, Title: Toll-like receptors; Role in CNS Infection and Neuropathology, Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2009;336:63-81.
- Suh HS, Zhao ML, Choi N, Belbin TJ, Brosnan CF and Lee SC: TLR3 and TLR4 are innate antiviral immune receptors in human microglia: Role of IRF3 in modulating antiviral and inflammatory response in the CNS, Virology, 2009 Sep 30;392(2):246-59
- Suh HS, Choi S, Khattar P, Choi N and Lee SC: Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors Suppress the Expression of Inflammatory and Innate Immune Response Genes in Human Microglia and Astrocytes. J. Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2010 Dec; 5(4):521-32.
- Suh HS, Cosenza-Nashat M, Choi N, Zhao ML, Li JF, Pollard JW, Jirtle RL, Goldstein H and Lee SC: Insulin-like growth factor 2 receptor is an IFNgamma-inducible microglial protein that facilitates intracellular HIV replication: implications for HIV-induced neurocognitive disorders. Am J Pathol. 2010 Nov; 177(5):2446-58.
- Cosenza-Nashat MA, Bauman A, Zhao ML, Morgello S, Suh HS and Lee SC: Cannabinoid Receptor Expression in HIV Encephalitis and HIV-associated Neuropathologic Comorbidities. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2011 Mar 31.
- *Krause D, *Suh HS, Tarassishin L, Cui QL, Durafourt BA, Choi N, Bauman A, Cosenza-Nashat M, Antel JP, Zhao ML, Lee SC: The tryptophan metabolite 3-hydroxyanthranilic acid plays anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective roles during inflammation: role of hemeoxygenase-1. Am J Pathol. 2011 Sep;179(3):1360-72 *equal contribution
- Tarassishin L, Suh HS, Lee SC: Interferon regulatory factor 3 plays an anti-inflammatory role in microglia by activating the PI3K/AKT pathway. J Neuroinflammation 2011 Dec 30; 8;187
- Tarassishin L, Loudig O, Bauman A, Shafit-Zagardo B, Suh HS, Lee SC: Interferon regulatory factor 3 inhibits astrocyte inflammatory gene expression through suppression of the proinflammatory miR-155 and miR-155*. Glia. 2011 Dec;59 (12):1911-22
- Suh HS, Choi N, Tarassishin L, Lee SC: Regulation of progranulin expression in human microglia and proteolysis of progranulin, PLoS One. 2012;7(4):e35115. Epub 2012 Apr 11.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.