Madhur K. Garg, M.B.,B.S.
1. Advanced Technologies in Radiation Oncology (IMRT and IGRT)
2. Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) for brain and spinal cord tumors
3. Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) for lung and liver malignancies
4. Functional imaging and adaptive planning for Head/Neck malignancies
5. Translational research involving Anti-Angiogenensis and radiation therapy
1. Bhatt ML, Garg MK: Serum Zinc: A possible biomarker in malignant disease undergoing radiotherapy. J Clin Radioth and Oncol 1997; 1(2): 61-64.
2. Bhatt ML, Garg MK: Changes in serum Copper levels in patients with malignant diseases undergoing radiotherapy. Indian J of Clin Biochemistry 1998; 13(1): 36-40.
3. Garg MK, Tekyi-Mensah S, Bolton S, Velasco J, Pontes E, Wood Jr DP, Porter AT, Forman JD: The impact of Post-Prostatectomy PSA nadir on outcomes following salvage radiotherapy. Urology 1998; 51(6): 998-1002.
4. Sood B, Gorla GR, Gupta S, Garg MK, Deore S, Runowicz CD, Fields AL, Goldberg GL, Anderson PS, Vikram B: Clinical experience with two fractions of high-dose rate brachytherapy in the management of cervix cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 53(2): 702-706.
5. Guha C, Parashar B, Deb NJ, Garg MK, Gorla GR, Singh A, Roy-Chowdhury N, Vikram B, Roy-Chowdhury J: Normal hepatocytes correct serum bilirubin after repopulation of Gunn rat liver subjected to irradiation/partial resection. Hepatology, 2002; 36: 354-62.
6. Sood B, Timmins P, Gorla G, Garg MK, Anderson P, Vikram B, Goldberg G: Concommitant cisplatin and extended field radiation therapy in patients with cervical and endometrial cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2002; 12(5): 459-64.
7. Guha C, Deb NJ, Garg MK, Roy-Chowdhary N, Gupta S, Roy-Chowdhary J, Vikram B: Radiation based approaches for liver repopulation. Falk Symposium Bulletin on Hepatocyte Transplantation, 2002.
8. Sood B, Garg MK, Avadhani J, Gorla G, Malhotra H, Deore S, Vikram B: Predictive value of Linear Quadratic Model in the treatment of Cervix Cancer using High Dose Rate Brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 54(5): 1377-1387.
9. Sood B, Gorla G, Garg MK, Anderson P, Runowicz CD, Fields AL, Goldberg GL, Vikram B: “Extended field Radiotherapy and High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in Carcinoma of the Cervix: Clinical experience with and without concomitant chemotherapy. Cancer. 2003; 97(7):1781-1788.
10. Garg MK, Yaparpalvi R, Beitler JJ: Loss of Cervical Spinal Curvature during radiation therapy for head and neck cancers. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004; 58(1):185-188.
11. Garg MK, Beitler JJ: Controversies in management of neck in head and neck cancer. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2004; 5(1): 35-40.
12. Garg MK, Sharma A, Gorla G, Jaggernauth W, Beitler, JJ: Role of High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in management of Recurrent Keloids after Surgery and External Beam Radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol 2004; 73(2): 233-236.
13. Goldberg G, Novetsky A, Garg MK, Hailpern S, Huang G, Fields A, Kalnicki S, Einstein M: Survival and Toxicity Differences between 5-day and Weekly Cisplatin Concomitant with External Beam Radiotherapy and High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in Patients with Locally-Advanced Cervical Cancer. Cancer. 2007 Jan 1;109(1):48-53.
14. Novetsky A, Einstein M, Goldberg G, Hailpern S, Landau E, Fields A, Mutyala M, Kalnicki S, Garg MK: Efficacy And Toxicity Of Concomitant Cisplatin With External Beam Pelvic Radiotherapy And Two High Dose Rate Brachytherapy Insertions For The Treatment Of Locally-Advanced Cervical Cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2004 Nov;73(2):233-6.
15. Beitler JJ, Garg MK, Ahn A, Owen R, Smith R: “High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy plus Neck Dissection for Nodal Disease” Head Neck. 2008 Mar 7; [Epub ahead of print]
16. A Mukhopadhaya, J Mendecki, X Dong, L Liu, S Kalnicki, M Garg, A Alfieri, C Guha: “Localized Hyperthermia Combined with Intratumoral Dendritic Cells Induces Systemic Antitumor Immunity”. Cancer Res. 2007 Aug 15;67(16):7798-806.
17. J Belbin, A Bergman, M Brandwein-Gensler, Q Chen, G Childs, M Garg, M Haigentz, R Hogue-Angeletti, R Moadel, A Negassa, R Owen, MB Prystowsky1, B Schiff, NF Schlecht, K Shifteh, RV Smith, X Zheng: “Head and Neck Cancer: Reduce and Integrate for Optimal Outcome.” Genes Genet Syst. 2007 Oct;82(5):403-8.
18. Peter H. Ahn, MD and Madhur K. Garg, MD: “PET-CT in head and neck cancers for target delineation.” Semin Nucl Med. 2008 Mar;38(2):141-8.
19. Yaparpalvi R, Mutyala S, Gorla GR, Butler J, Mah D, Garg MK, Kalnicki S. Point vs. volumetric bladder and rectal doses in combined intracavitary-interstitial high-dose-rate brachytherapy: correlation and comparison with published Vienna applicator data. Brachytherapy. 2008 Oct-Dec;7(4):336-42. Epub 2008 Sep 7.
20. Yaparpalvi R, Hong L, Mah D, Shen J, Mutyala S, Spierer M, Garg M, Guha C, Kalnicki S; “ICRU reference dose in an era of intensity-modulated radiation therapy clinical trials: correlation with planning target volume mean dose and suitability for intensity-modulated radiation therapy dose prescription.” Radiother Oncol. 2008 Dec;89(3):347-52. Epub 2008 Aug 31.
21. Ahn PH, Ahn AI, Lee CJ, Shen J, Miller E, Lukaj A, Milan E, Yaparpalvi R, Kalnicki S, Garg MK. “Random positional variation among the skull, mandible, and cervical spine with treatment progression during head-and-neck radiotherapy”. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Feb 1;73(2):626-33.
22. Hong LX, Chen CC, Garg M, Yaparpalvi R, Mah D. “Clinical experiences with onboard imager KV images for linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery and radiotherapy setup.” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Feb 1;73(2):556-61.
23. Sharma R, Spierer M, Mutyala S, Thawani N, Cohen HW, Hong L, Garg MK, Kalnicki S “Change in seroma volume during whole-breast radiation therapy.” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Sep 1;75(1):89-93. Epub 2009 Apr 11
24. Skinner WK, Muse ED, Yaparpalvi R, Guha C, Garg MK, Kalnicki S. “Obtaining normal tissue constraints using intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in patients with oral cavity, oropharyngeal, and laryngeal carcinoma.” Med Dosim. 2009 winter; 34(4):279-84. Epub 2008 Dec 26
25. Lee CC, Wu A, Garg M, Mutyala S, Kalnicki S, Sayed G, Mah D “A new approach to reduce number of split fields in large field IMRT.” Med Dosim. [Epub ahead of print]
26. Chen CC, Lee CC, Mah D, Sharma R, Landau E, Garg M, Wu A. “Dose sparing of brainstem and spinal cord for re-irradiating recurrent head and neck cancer with intensity-modulated radiotherapy.” Med Dosim. 2010 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print]
27. Tlemcani K, Levine D, Smith RV, Brandwein-Gensler M, Staffenberg DA, Garg MK, Shifteh K, Haigentz M “Metastatic apocrine carcinoma of the scalp: prolonged response to systemic chemotherapy.” J Clin Oncol. 2010 Aug 20;28(24):e412-4. Epub 2010 Apr 20
28. Quon H, Yom SS, Garg MK, Lawson J, McDonald MW, Ridge JA, Saba N, Salama J, Smith R, Yeung AR, Beitler JJ “ACR Appropriateness Criteria: local-regional therapy for resectable oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas.”Curr Probl Cancer. 2010 May-Jun;34(3):175-92. Review
29. C. R. Salazar, R. V. Smith, M. Garg, M. Haigentz Jr., B. Schiff, N. Kawachi, J. Ostoloza, T. J. Belbin, M. B. Prystowsky, R. D. Burk, N. F. Schlecht : “Human papillomavirus associated survival and response to therapy in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma” Manuscript submitted to Annals of Oncology.
30. Yaparpalvi R, Hannan R, Landau E, Kahan N, Bodner W, Kuo HC, Minsky L, Mehta KJ, Garg MK, Kalnicki S, Guha C. “Timing of postseed imagin influences rectal dose-volume parameters for cesium-131 prostate seed implants.” Brachytherapy. 2011 Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print]
31. Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology-Head and Neck, Salama JK, Saba N, Quon H, MK Garg, Lawson J, McDonald MW, Ridge JA, Smith RV, Yeung AR, Yom SS, Beitler JJ. ACR appropriateness criteria® adjuvant therapy for resected squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Oral Oncol. 2011 Jul;47(7):554-9. Epub 2011 Jun 12.
32. Owen RP, Khan SA, Negassa A, Beitler JJ, Bello JA, Brook A, Farinhas J, Garg MK, Haigentz M Jr, Miller TS, Hsu MS, Ravikumar TS, Shifteh K, Smith RV, Silver E. Radiofrequency ablation of advanced head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 May;137(5):493-8.
33. McDonald MW, Lawson J, Garg MK, Quon H, Ridge JA, Saba N, Salama JK, Smith RV, Yeung AR, Yom SS, Beitler JJ; Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology-Head and Neck Cancer. ACR appropriateness criteria retreatment of recurrent head and neck cancer after prior definitive radiation expert panel on radiation oncology-head and neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Aug 1;80(5):1292-8. Epub 2011 Apr 27. Review.
34. Hong LX, Garg M, Lasala P, Kim M, Mah D, Chen CC, Yaparpalvi R, Mynampati D, Kuo HC, Guha C, Kalnicki S. Experience of micromultileaf collimator linear accelerator based single fraction stereotactic radiosurgery: tumor dose inhomogeneity, conformity, and dose fall off. Med Phys. 2011 Mar;38(3):1239-47
35. Ahn PH, Chen CC, Ahn AI, Hong L, Scripes PG, Shen J, Lee CC, Miller E,
Kalnicki S, Garg MK. Adaptive planning in intensity-modulated radiation therapy for head and neck cancers: single-institution experience and clinical implications. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Jul 1;80(3):677-85. Epub 2010 Jul 9.
More Information About Dr. Madhur Garg
Montefiore Medical Center
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.