Professor of Clinical Neurology, The Saul R. Korey Department of Neurology
Dr. Herskovitz is Professor of Clinical Neurology and Director of the EMG Lab / Neuromuscular division. He earned his medical degree from Cornell University Medical Center in 1980. He completed residencies in both Internal Medicine and Neurology, followed by a Fellowship in Electromyography/Neuromuscular Disorders, all at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He is a diplomate of the ABIM, ABPN, ABEM, and ABPN-AQNM. His clinical research interests include the peripheral neuropathies, entrapment neuropathies and peripheral neurotoxicology. He has published on various aspects of carpal tunnel syndrome including electrophysiologic diagnosis, treatment and autonomic features, clinical features of a variety of peripheral neuropathies, and the neurotoxicology of pharmaceutical and industrial agents. He is author of: Herskovitz S, Scelsa S, Schaumburg HH. Peripheral Neuropathies in Clinical Practice. Contemporary Neurology Series. Oxford University Press. New York. 2010. Two positions are available yearly in the clinical neurophysiology /EMG fellowship program.
A. Original Communications in Reviewed Journals:
1. Lipton RB, Krupp L, Horoupian D, Herskovitz S, Arezzo JC, Kurtzberg D. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy of the posterior fossa in an AIDS patient: Clinical, radiographic and evoked potential findings. European Neurology. 28:258?261,1988.
2. Herskovitz S, Lipton RB, Lantos G. NeuroBehcet's disease: CT and clinical correlates. Neurology. 38:1714?1720, 1988.
3. Herskovitz S, Siegel SE, Schneider AT, Nelson SJ, Goodrich JT, Lantos G. Spinal cord toxoplasmosis in AIDS. Neurology. 39:1552?1553, 1989.
4. Loh F, Herskovitz S, Berger AR, Swerdlow M. Brachial plexopathy associated with interleukin 2 therapy. Neurology. 42:462?463, 1992.
5. Newman LC, Herskovitz S, Lipton RB, Solomon S. Chronic paroxysmal headache: Two cases with cerebrovascular disease. Headache 32: 75?76, 1992.
6. Gonzales GR, Herskovitz S, Rosenblum M, et al. Dejerine Roussy syndrome caused by CNS toxoplasmosis in patients with AIDS. Neurology 42: 1107?1109, 1992.
7. Herskovitz S, Gordon M, Strauch B. Shiatsu massage induced injury of the median recurrent motor branch. Muscle & Nerve 15 (10): 1215, 1992.
8. Herskovitz S, Loh F, Berger AR, Kucherov M. Erythromelalgia: Association with hereditary sensory neuropathy and response to amitriptyline. Neurology 43: 621?622, 1993.
9. Herskovitz S, Bieri P, Berger AR. Depressor septi nasi myokymia. Muscle & Nerve 17: 116, 1994.
10. Strominger MB, Slamovits TL, Herskovitz S, Lipton RB. Transient worsening of optic neuropathy as a sequela of the Jarisch?Herxheimer reaction in the treatment of Lyme disease. J Neuro Ophthalmol 14(2): 77?80, 1994.
11. Scelsa SN,, Lipton RB, Sanders H, Herskovitz S. Headache characteristics in hospitalized patients with Lyme disease. Headache 35 (3): 125-130, 1995.
12. Berger AR, Herskovitz S, Kaplan J. Late motor involvement in cases presenting as chronic sensory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Muscle & Nerve 18: 440-444, 1995.
13. Herskovitz S, Berger AR, Lipton, RB. Low dose, short-term oral prednisone in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Neurology 45: 1923-1925, 1995.
14. Berger AR, Herskovitz, S, Scelsa SN. Restoration of IVIg efficacy by plasma exchange in CIDP. Neurology 45: 1628-1629, 1995.
15. Oware A, Herskovitz S, Berger AR. Long thoracic nerve palsy associated with chiropractic manipulation. Neurology 18:1351, 1995.
16. Berger AR, Swerdlow M, Herskovitz S. Myasthenia gravis presenting with uncontrollable flatulence and urinary/fecal incontinence. Muscle & Nerve 19: 113-114, 1996.
17. Scelsa SN, Berger AR, Herskovitz S. The diagnostic utility of F waves in L5/S1 radiculopathy. Muscle & Nerve 18: 1496, 1995.
18. Scelsa SN, Herskovitz S, Berger AR. A predominantly motor polyradiculopathy of Lyme disease. Muscle & Nerve 19: 780-783, 1996.
19. Scelsa SN, Herskovitz S, Bieri P, Berger AR. Median mixed and sensory conduction studies in carpal tunnel syndrome. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology 109: 268-273, 1998
20. Scelsa SN, Herskovitz S, Reichler B. Treatment of Mononeuropathy Multiplex in Hepatitis C Virus and Cryoglobulinemia. Muscle & Nerve 21: 1526-1529, 1998.
21. Scelsa SN, Herskovitz S. Miller Fisher syndrome: axonal, demyelinating or both? Electromyogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 40: 497-502, 2000.
22. Manfredi PL, Herskovitz S, Folli F, Pigazzi A, Swerdlow ML. Spinal epidural abscess: treatment options. Eur Neurol 40:58-60, 1998.
23. Berger AR, Schaumburg HH, Freeman K, Gourevitch MN, Herskovitz S, Arezzo JC. Prevalence of peripheral neuropathy in injection drug users. Neurology 1999; 53: 592-597
24. Verghese J, Galanopoulou AS, Herskovitz S. Autonomic dysfunction in idiopathic carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle & Nerve 23: 1209-1213, 2000.
25. Scelsa S, Berger A, Herskovitz S. Electrophysiologic correlates of L5/S1 radiculopathy. Electromyogr. clin. Neurophysiol 2001, 41, 145-151.
26. Verghese J, Bieri PL, Gellido C, Schaumburg HH, Herskovitz S. Peripheral neuropathy in young-old and old-old patients. Muscle & Nerve 24: 1476-1481, 2001.
27. Scelsa S, Ghali V, Herskovitz S, et al. Blood ãä T cells, Campylobacter jejuni, and GM1 titers in Guillain Barre syndrome. Muscle & Nerve 30: 423-432, 2004.
28. Geyer H, Schaumburg HH, Herskovitz S. Methyl bromide intoxication causes reversible, symmetric, brainstem and cerebellar MRI lesions. Neurology 2005; 64:1279-1281.
29. Herskovitz S, Song H, Cozien D, Scelsa S. Sensory symptoms in acquired neuromyotonia. Neurology 2005;65:1330-1331.
30. Schaumburg HH, Herskovitz S, Cassano V. Occupational manganese neurotoxicity provoked by hepatitis C. Neurology 2006;67:322-3.
31. Blumenthal S, Herskovitz S, Verghese J. Carpal tunnel syndrome in older adults. Muscle & Nerve 2006;34:78-83.
32. Schaumburg HH, Herskovitz S. Is acquired copper deficiency myeloneuropathy from denture cream use a clue to clioquinol-induced subacute myelo-optic neuropathy (SMON)? Neurology 2008; 71 (9):622.
33. Robbins MS, Roth S, Swerdlow ML, Bieri P, Herskovitz S. Optic neuritis and palatal dysarthria as presenting features of post-infectious GQ1b antibody syndrome. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2009;111:465-466.
34. Issa SS, Herskovitz S, Lipton RB. Acquired neuromyotonia as a paraneoplastic manifestation of ovarian cancer. Neurology 2011;76:101-103 .
B. Books, Chapters in Books, Editorials and Review Articles:
1. Contributing author: Pousada, L, Osborn HH. Emergency Medicine for the House Officer. Williams and Wilkins, 1986. (chapters on headache and CPR).
2. Contributing author: Schaumburg HH, Berger AR, Thomas PK. Disorders of Peripheral Nerves, 2nd edition, F.A. Davis, 1992.
3. Berger AR, Herskovitz S. Cumulative trauma disorders and occupational nerve disease. In: Rosenberg, N ed. Occupational and Environmental Neurology. Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, 1995.
4. Assistant Editor: Spencer PS, Schaumburg HH, Ludolph AC. Experimental and Clinical Neurotoxicology, 2nd edition. Oxford University Press, 2000.
5. Schaumburg HH, Herskovitz S. The Weak Child – A Cautionary Tale. N Engl J Med 2000 (editorial); 342, 127-129.
6. Herskovitz, S. Toxic neuropathies – Amiodarone, Gold, Perhexilene, Misonidazole. In Medlink Neurology (www.medlink.com), 2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006.
7. Herskovitz S, Schaumburg HH. Neuropathy due to drugs. In: Dyck PJ, Thomas PK, editors: Peripheral Neuropathy, 4th edition, 2005.
8. Herskovitz S, Scelsa S, Schaumburg HH. Peripheral Neuropathies in Clinical Practice. Contemporary Neurology Series. Oxford University Press. New York. 2010.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
Montefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, NY 10467