Sheryl R. Haut, M.D.
Dr. Sheryl Haut is Director of the Adult Epilepsy Program and Director of Neurology Residency Training at AECOM. She is the current Chair of the North American Commission of the International League Against Epilepsy. Her research interests include: the temporal distribution of seizures, with emphasis on seizure clustering; seizure prediction and pre-emption; and alternative therapies for epilepsy. She is currently conducting electronic diary studies of seizure prediction and is the Principal Investigator of the first randomized controlled trial of stress management for refractory epilepsy using smartphone diaries. Dr. Haut has a Masters in Clinical Research Methods, and completed a K23 career development award from the NIH. She maintains an active adult epilepsy practice at Montefiore Medical Center, Moses Division.
- Haut SR, Hall CB, Borkowski T, Tennen H, Lipton RB. Clinical features of the pre-ictal state: Mood changes and premonitory symptoms. Epilepsy and Behavior 2012, 23:415-421.
- Pillai J, Haut SR. Patients with epilepsy and psychogenic non-epileptic seizures: An inpatient video-EEG monitoring study. Seizure. 2012, 21(1):24-7.
- Schulze-BonhageA, Haut SR. Premonitory features and seizure self-prediction: Artifact or real? Epilepsy Res 2011, 97(3);231-235.
- Haut SR, Lipton RBL. Predicting Seizures: A Behavioral Approach. Neurol Clinics 2009, 27(4);925-940.
- Haut SR. Psychiatric History and Temporal Lobectomy Outcome: Looking to the Past to Predict the Future. Epilepsy Currents 2009, 9(5):1-3
- Haut SR, Katz M, Masur J, Lipton RBL. Seizures in the Elderly: Impact on Mental Status, Mood and Sleep. Epilepsy and Behavior 2009;14(3):540-544.
- Hall CB, Lipton RB, Tennen H, Haut SR. Early Follow-up Data From Seizure Diaries Can Be Used To Predict Subsequent Seizures in Same Cohort By Borrowing Strength Across Participants. Epilepsy and Behavior 2009;14(3);472-475.
- Bower CM, Hays RD, Devinsky O, Spencer SS, Sperling MR, Haut S, Vassar S, Vickrey BG. Expectations Prior to Epilepsy Surgery: An Exploratory Comparison of Men and Women. Seizure 2009;18(3):228-231
- Brody BD and Haut SR. Ending the Doctor-Patient Relationship in Neurology Practice. The Neurologist 2009;15(5): 277-81.
- Haut SR, Hall CD, Masur J, Lipton RB. Seizure Occurrence: Precipitants and Prediction. Neurology 2007;69 1905-1910.
- Lado F, Spiegel R, Masur J, Boro A, Haut SR. Value of routine screening for bone demineralization in an urban population of patients with epilepsy. Epil Res 2007; 78(2-3);155-160
- Chin PS, Berg AT, Spencer SS, Sperling MR, Haut SR, et al. Employment Outcomes Following Resective Epilepsy Surgery. Epilepsia 2007;Dec;48(12):2253-7.8.
- Haut SR, Hall CD, LeValley A, Lipton RB. Can patients with epilepsy predict their seizures? Neurology, 2007; 68:262-266.
- Spencer SS, Berg AT, Vickrey BG, Sperling MR, Bazil CW, Haut S, Langfitt JT, Walczak TS, Devinsky O; Multicenter Study of Epilepsy Surgery. Health-related quality of life over time since resective epilepsy surgery. Ann Neurol. 2007 Oct;62(4):327-34
- Haut SR, Bigal M, Lipton RB. Chronic Disorders With Episodic Manifestations: Focus on Epilepsy and Migraine. Lancet Neurology 2006;5:148-157.
- Hussain SA, Haut SR, Lipton RB, Derby C, Markowitz SY, Shinnar S. Incidence of Epilepsy in a Racially-Diverse, Community-Dwelling, Elderly Cohort: Results from the Einstein Aging Study. In press, Epilep Res 2006.
- Haut SR. Seizure Clustering. Epilepsy and Behavior 2006;8:50-55.
- Golden AS, Haut SR, Moshe SL. Nonepileptic Uses of Antiepileptic Drugs in Children and Adolescents. Ped Neurol. 2006;34(6):421-432.
- Haut SR, Lipton RB, LeValley A, Hall, CD, Shinnar S. Identifying Seizure Clusters in Patients with Epilepsy. Neurology 2005;65(8):1313-1315.
- Haut SR, Shinnar S, Moshe SL. Seizure Clustering: Risks and Outcomes. Epilepsia. 2005 Jan;46(1):146-9.
More Information About Dr. Sheryl Haut
Montefiore Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Stress Management Intervention for Living with Epilepsy (SMILE)
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.