Areas of Research: Epidemiological studies of obesity and related cariometabolic disease (diabetes and CVD); genetic and gene-environment interaction studies; Metabolomics; cariometabolic disease in HIV infection
- Gene-environment interactions in relation to obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Genetic epidemiology of obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Epidemiology of diet and lifestyle on obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Dr. Qi’s current work focus on the inter-relationships of genetic variants, biomarkers, and dietary intakes and other environmental factors with obesity, type 2 diabetes and related diseases by using genome-wide association analysis, G*E interaction and Mendelian randomization approaches. He is also interested in the studies of gene-diet interactions on weight-loss and improvement of related metabolic risk factors in clinical trials.
- Qi Q, Chu AY, Kang JH, Huang J, Rose LM, Jensen MK, Liang L, Curhan GC, Pasquale LR, Wiggs JL, De Vivo I, Chan AT, Choi HK, Tamimi RM, Ridker PM, Hunter DJ, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Chasman DI, Hu FB, Qi L. Fried food consumption, genetic risk, and body mass index: gene-diet interaction analysis in three US cohort studies. BMJ. 2014 Mar 19;348:g1610. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g1610.PMID:24646652
- Sun L*, Qi Q*, Zong G, Ye X, Li H, Liu X, Zheng H, Hu FB, Liu Y, Lin X.Elevated Plasma Retinol-Binding Protein 4 Is Associated with Increased Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Middle-Aged and Elderly Chinese Adults. J Nutr. 2014 Mar 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24647386. (*co-first author)
- Huang T, Qi Q, Li Y, Hu FB, Bray GA, Sacks FM, Williamson DA, Qi L. FTO genotype, dietary protein, and change in appetite: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Mar 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24622803
- Mirzaei K, Xu M, Qi Q, de Jonge L, Bray GA, Sacks F, Qi L. Variants in glucose- and circadian rhythm-related genes affect the response of energy expenditure to weight-loss diets: the POUNDS LOST Trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;99(2):392-9. PMID: 24335056
- Qi L, Qi Q, Prudente S, Mendonca C, Andreozzi F, di Pietro N, Sturma M, Novelli V, Mannino GC, Formoso G, Gervino EV, Hauser TH, Muehlschlegel JD, Niewczas MA, Krolewski AS, Biolo G, Pandolfi A, Rimm E, Sesti G, Trischitta V, Hu F, Doria A. Association between a genetic variant related to glutamic acid metabolism and coronary heart disease in individuals with type 2 diabetes. JAMA. 2013 28;310(8):821-8. PMID: 2398236
- Wu H, Wylie-Rosett J, Qi Q. Dietary interventions for weight loss and maintenance: preference or genetic personalization? Current Nutrition Reports. 2013 2:189-198.
- Qi Q, Xu M, Wu H, Liang L, Champagne CM, Bray GA, Sacks FM, Qi L. IRS1 Genotype Modulates Metabolic Syndrome Reversion in Response to 2-Year Weight-Loss Diet Intervention: The POUNDS LOST trial. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(11):3442-7. PMID: 24009303
- Qi Q,Meigs JB, Rexrode KM, Hu FB, Qi L. Diabetes genetic predisposition score and cardiovascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care. 2013 36(3):737-739. PMID: 23069839.
- Xu M, Qi Q, Liang J, Bray GA, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Genetic determinant for amino acid metabolites and changes in body weight and insulin resistance in response to weight-loss diets: the preventing overweight using novel dietary strategies (POUNDS LOST) trial. Circulation. 2013127(12):1283-1289. PMID: 23446828.
- Qi Q, Chu AY, Kang JH, Jensen MK, Curhan GC, Pasquale LR, Ridker PM, Hunter DJ, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Chasman DI, Hu FB, Qi L. Sugar-sweetened beverages and genetic risk of obesity. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012 367(15):1387-96. PMID: 22998338.
- Qi Q, Li Y, Chomistek AK, Kang JH, Curhan GC, Pasquale LR, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Hu FB, Qi L. Television watching, leisure-time physical activity and the genetic predisposition in relation to body mass index in women and men. Circulation. 2012 126(15):1821-7. PMID: 22949498.
- Qi Q, Workalemahu T, Zhang C, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic variants, plasma lipoprotein(a) levels, and risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality among two prospective cohorts of type 2 diabetes. European Heart Journal.2012 33(3):325-334. PMID: 21900290.
- Qi Q*, Menzaghi C*, Smith S, Liang L, de Rekeneire N, Garcia ME, Lohman KK, Miljkovic I, Strotmeyer ES, Cummings SR, Kanaya AM, Tylavsky FA, Satterfield S, Ding J, Rimm EB, Trischitta V, Hu FB, Liu Y, Qi L. Genome-wide association analysis identifies TYW3/CRYZ and NDST4 loci associated with circulating resistin levels. Human Molecular Genetics.2012 21(21):4774-80. PMID: 22843503. (*co-first author)
- Qi Q, Forman JP, Jensen MK, Flint A, Curhan GC, Rimm EB, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic predisposition to high blood pressure associates with cardiovascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes: two independent studies. Diabetes. 2012 61(11):3026-32. PMID: 22829449.
- Qi Q, Liang L, Doria A, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic predisposition to dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes risk in two prospective cohorts. Diabetes. 2012 61(3):745-752. PMID: 22315312.
- Qi Q, Bray GA, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Weight-loss diets modify glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide receptor rs2287019 genotype effects on changes in body weight, fasting glucose, and insulin resistance: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.2012 95(2):506-513. PMID: 22237064.
- Li Y*, Qi Q*, Workalemahu T, Hu FB, Qi L. Birth weight, genetic-susceptibility and adulthood risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care. 2012 35(12):2479-84. PMID: 22923665 (* co-first author)
- Zhang X, Qi Q, Liang J, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Neuropeptide Y promoter polymorphism modifies effects of a weight-loss diet on 2-year changes of blood pressure: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies Trial. Hypertension. 2012 60(5):1169-75. PMID: 22966009.
- Zhang X, Qi Q, Zhang C, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. FTO Genotype and 2-year change in body composition and fat distribution in response to weight-loss diets: the Pounds Lost Trial. Diabetes. 2012 61(11):3005-11. PMID: 22891219.
- Qi Q, Bray GA, Smith SR, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Insulin receptor substrate 1 gene variation modifies insulin resistance response to weight-loss diets in a 2-year randomized trial: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies (Pounds Lost) Trial. Circulation. 2011 124(5):563-571. PMID: 22509365.
Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography:
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.