Teresa V. Bowman, Ph.D.
Hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) are one of the most widely utilized stem cell populations in the clinic today, in large part due to their robust ability to regenerate and replace the entire blood system after myeloablative injuries. Our research focuses on uncovering the molecular mechanisms underlying how HSCs respond to these injuries. Specifically, we are interested in identifying the key components for directing HSC fate decisions during regeneration. Our studies combine the advantages of zebrafish and murine models to explore the development and genetic regulation of HSC stress response. Zebrafish offer powerful genetic pliability, easily accessible in vivo imaging, numerous transplantation assays, and screening capabilities. Mouse models provide the most robust HSC transplantation assays and the capacity to isolate highly homogeneous HSC populations. Through these studies, we anticipate identifying factors that are critical in the HSC regenerative response, which can be used to inform therapeutic strategies to improve hematopoietic outcomes following myeloablative treatments as well as HSC derivation from pluripotent stem cells.
- Bowman TV and Zon LI. Ageing: Stem cells on a stress-busting diet. Nature, 2013; 494(7437): 317-8.
- Kim PG, Albacker CE, Lu YF, Jang IH, Heffner GC, Arora N, Bowman TV, Lin MI, Lensch MW, De Los Angeles A, Zon LI, Loewer S, and Daley GQ. Signaling axis involving Hedgehog, Notch, and Scl promotes the embryonic endothelial-to-hematopoietic transition. PNAS, 2013; 110(2): E141-50.
- Bowman TV, Trompouki E, and Zon LI. Linking Hematopoietic Regeneration to Developmental Signaling Pathways: a Story of BMP and Wnt. Cell Cycle, 2012; 11:424-5
- Trompouki E*, Bowman TV*, Lawton LN, Fan Z, Wu D, DiBiase A, Martin CS, Cech JN, Sessa AK, Leblanc JL, Li P, Mosimann C, Durand E, Heffner GC, Daley GQ, Paulson RF, Young RA and Zon LI. BMP and Wnt pathway regulation of lineage-specific gene programs underlie Hematopoietic Regeneration. Cell, 2011; 147(3): 577-89. * These authors contributed equally.
- Trompouki E, Bowman TV, DiBiase A, Zhou Y, and Zon LI. Chromatin Immunoprecipitation in Adult Zebrafish Red Cells. Methods in Cell Biology, 2011; 104: 341-52.
- Glass TJ, Lund TC, Patrinostro X, Tolar J, Bowman TV, Zon LI, and Blazer BR. Expression and Function of Stromal Cell-Derived Factor 1 (SDF-1) in Adult Zebrafish in the Context of Radiation and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Blood, 2011; 118(3): 766-74.
- Boles NC, Lin KK, Lukov GL, Bowman TV, Baldridge MT, and Goodell MA. CD48 on Hematopoietic Progenitors Regulates Stem Cells and Suppresses Tumor Formation. Blood, 2011; 118(1): 80-7.
- Bowman TV and Zon LI. Swimming into the Future of Drug Discovery: In Vivo Chemical Screens in Zebrafish. ACS Chemical Biology, 2010; 5(2): 159-61.
- Dovey MC, Patton EE, Bowman TV, Goessling W, North T, Zhou Y, and Zon LI. Topoisomerase II alpha is required for embryonic development and liver regeneration in zebrafish. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 2009; 29(13): 3746-53.
- Bowman TV and Zon LI. Lessons from the Niche for Generation and Expansion of Hematopoietic Stem Cells. Drug Discovery Today: Therapeutic Strategies, 2009; 6(4): 135-40.
- Novoa B, Bowman TV, Zon L, and Figueras A. LPS response and tolerance in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish and Shellfish Immunology, 2009; 26(2): 326-31.
- White RM, Sessa A, Burke C, Bowman T, LeBlanc J, Ceol, C, Bourque, C, Dovey M, Goessling, W, Burns, CE, and Zon LI. Transparent Adult Zebrafish as a Tool for In vivo Transplantation Analysis. Cell Stem Cell, 2008; 2: 183-189.
- Lengerke C, Schmitt S, Bowman TV, Jang I, Maouche-Chretien L, McKinney-Freeman S, Davidson AJ, Hammerschmidt M, Rentzsch F, Green J, Zon LI, and Daley GQ. BMP and Wnt Specify Hematopoietic Fate by Activation of the Cdx-Hox Pathway. Cell Stem Cell, 2008; 2: 72-82.
- LeBlanc, J, Bowman, TV, and Zon, LI. Transplantation of whole kidney marrow in adult zebrafish. J Vis Exp, 2007; 2: 159.
- Chambers, SM, Boles, NC, Lin, KK, Tierney, MP, Bowman, TV, Bradfute, SB, Chen, AJ, Merchant, AA, Sirin, O, Weksberg, DC, Merchant, MG, Fisk, J, Shaw, CA, and Goodell, MA. Hematopoietic Fingerprints: An Expression Database of Stem Cells and Their Progeny. Cell Stem Cell, 2007; 1: 578-591.
- North, TE, Goessling W, Walkley CR, Lengerke C, Kopani KR, Lord AM, Weber GJ, Bowman TV, Jang I, Grosser T, FitzGeralk GA, Daley GQ, Orkin SH, and Zon LI. Prostaglandin E2 regulates Vertebrate Haematopoietic Stem Cell Homeostasis. Nature, 2007; 447: 1007-1011.
- Bowman TV, Merchant AM, and Goodell MA. Molecular Profiling of Hematopoietic Stem Cells. Molecular Methods: Stem Cell Transplantation, 2007; 134:1-16.
- Ramos CA, Bowman TA, Boles NC, Merchant AA, Zheng Y, Parra I, Fuqua SA, Shaw CA, Goodell MA. Evidence for Diversity in Transcriptional Profiles of Single Hematopoietic Stem Cells. PloS Genetics, 2006 29; 2(9): e159.
- Bowman TV, McCooey AJ, Merchant AA, Ramos CA, Fonseca P, Poindexter A, Bradfute SB, Oliveira D, Green R, Zheng Y, Jackson KA, Chambers SM, McKinney-Freeman S, Norwood KG, Darlington G, Gunaratne P, Steffen D, and Goodell MA. Differential mRNA Processing in Hematopoietic Stem Cells. Stem Cells, 2006; 24(3): 662-670.
- Venezia TA*, Merchant AM*, Ramos CA, Whitehouse NL, Young AS, Shaw CA, and Goodell MA. Molecular Signatures of Proliferation and Quiescence in Hematopoietic Stem Cells. PLoS Biology, 2004; 2(10): e301. * These authors contributed equally.
- Ramos CA, Venezia TA, Camargo FD, and Goodell MA. Techniques for the Study of Adult Stem Cells: Be Fruitful and Multiply. Biotechniques, 2003; 34(3): 572-591.
- Welm BE, Tepera SB, Venezia T, Graubert TA, Rosen JM, Goodell MA. Sca-1(pos) cells in the mouse mammary gland represent an enriched progenitor cell population. Dev Biol, 2002; 245(1): 42-56.
More Information About Dr. Teresa Bowman
Bowman Lab Website
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.