Professor, Department of Pediatrics (Child Development)
Director, Adolescent Unit, Children's Evaluation Rehabilitation Center
Areas of scholarly interest include: chronic school failure, academic motivation, self-regulation, and the psychological consequences and management of pregnancy loss.
1. Brier, N. and Demb, H.: Psychotherapy with the Developmentally Disabled Adolescent. Journal of
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. Vol. 1, p. 19-23, no. 1, 1980.
2. Brier, N. and Demb, H.: Adolescence in the Developmentally Disabled: Stage or Syndrome. Psychiatric
Annuals, Vol.11, p. 57-23, no. 3, 1981.
3. Brier, N.: The Mildly Retarded Adolescent: A Psychosocial Perspective. Journal of Developmental and
Behavioral Pediatrics, Vol. 7, p. 320-323, no. 5, 1986.
4. Brier, N.: Parental Reactions to the Discovery of a Handicapped Child. Resident and Staff Physician,
Vol. 32, p. 34-40, no. 6, 1986.
5. Brier, N. and Carlson-Perez, E.: A Gap in Service: Screening for Developmental Disabilities Within a Juvenile
Justice Population. Juvenile and Family Court Journal, Vol. 37, p. 15-19, no. 5, 1986.
6. Brier, N., Carlson-Perez, E. and Kaufman, J.: The Evolution and Application of a Screening
Instrument to Identify Adolescents with Developmental Disabilities. Juvenile and Family Court Journal,
Vol. 40, p. 35-42, no.1, 1989.
7. Brier, N.: The Relationship Between Learning Disability and Delinquency: A Review and Reappraisal.
Journal of Learning Disabilities, Vol. 22, p. 546-553, no. 9, 1989.
8. Brier, N.: Targeted treatment for the learning disabled defendant: Effects on recidivism. Journal of Learning
Disabilities, Vol. 27, p. 215-222, no. 4, 1994.
9. Brier, N.: Pregnancy loss: Understanding and coping with the Emotional reactions to a miscarriage. Journal of
Obstetrics and Gynecology,Vol. 93, 1, 151-155, 1999.
10. Brier, N.: Anxiety following a miscarriage: A review of the empirical literature and implications for clinical
practice. Birth, Vol. 31, 2, 138-142, 2004.
11. Brier, N.: Grief following miscarriage: A comprehensive review of the literature. Journal of Women’s Health, Vol. 17, 3, 451-464, 2008.
12. Brier, N. 1998. Mental Retardation. In S. B. Friedman, M. M. Fisher, S. K. Schonberg, & E. M. Alderman
(Eds.), Comprehensive Adolescent Health Care-Second Edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby.
13. Brier, N. 2006. Enhancing Academic Motivation: An intervention program for young adolescents. Champaign,
IL.: Research Press.
14. Brier, N. 2007. Motivating Children and Adolescents for Academic Success: A parent
involvement program. Champaign, IL: Research Press.
15. Brier, N. 2010. Self-regulated learning: Practical interventions for struggling teens. Champaign, IL: Research Press.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Rose F. Kennedy Center
1410 Pelham Parkway South , Room 232
Bronx, NY 10461