Shankar Viswanathan, Dr.P.H.
I am a biostatistician with primary area of methods research focussing on multivariate survival analysis, missing data analysis and clinical trials. My clinical/applied area of interest includes global health, nutritional epidemiology, infectious disease epidemiology, injury epidemiology, Oncology and organ transplantation.
- Richard VS, Harris VK, Shankar V, Loganathan G, Chandy GM. Clinical manifestations and survival pattern of Wilson's disease. Natl Med J India. 2000 Nov-Dec;13(6):301-3.
- Prabhu R, John GT, Shankar V, Thomas PP, Abi Abraham M, Jeyaseelan L, Jacob CK. Pre-transplant risk factors for renal allograft dysfunction at one year in Indian patients. Natl Med J India. 2001 Jan-Feb;14(1):18-21.
- John GT, Viswanathan S. Renal transplantation without dialysis: better results at a lower cost? Natl Med J India. 2001 Jul-Aug;14(4):224.
- John GT, Shankar V, Abraham AM, Mukundan U, Thomas PP, Jacob CK. Risk factors for post-transplant tuberculosis. Kidney Int. 2001 Sep;60(3):1148-53.
- Sathish N, Manayani DJ, Shankar V, Abraham M, Nithyanandam G, Sridharan G., Comparison of IgM capture ELISA with a commercial rapid immunochromatographic card test & IgM microwell ELISA for the detection of antibodies to dengue viruses. Indian J Med Res. 2002 Feb;115:31-6.
- John GT, Shankar V, Abraham AM, Mathews MS, Thomas PP, Jacob CK. Nocardiosis in tropical renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant. 2002 Aug;16(4):285-289.
- John GT, Shankar V. Mycobacterial infections in organ transplant recipients.
Semin Respir Infect. 2002 Dec;17(4):274-83.
- Abraham MA, Thomas PP, John GT, Job V, Shankar V, Jacob CK. Efficacy and safety of low-dose ketoconazole (50 mg) to reduce the cost of cyclosporine in renal allograft recipients. Transplant Proc. 2003 Feb;35(1):215-216.
- Sen M, George R, Shankar V, Thomas M, Thomas K. Aetiology of drug-induced severe bullous reactions. Natl Med J India. 2003 Jan-Feb; 16(1):50-1.
- John GT, Shankar V, Abraham AM, Talaulikar G, Mathews MS, Thomas PP, Jacob CK. Epidemiology of Systemic Mycoses among Renal Transplant Recipients in India. Transplantation 2003, 75(9), 1544-1551.
- Manoharan A, Pai R, Shankar V, Thomas K, Lalitha MK. A Comparison of three methods of antimicrobial susceptibility testing for detection of resistance in Haemophilus Influenzae. Indian J Med Res. 2003 Feb; 117:81-7.
- Peedicayil A, Sadowski LS, Jeyaseelan L, Shankar V, Jain D, Suresh S, Bangdiwala SI; IndiaSAFE Group. Spousal physical violence against women during pregnancy.
BJOG. 2004 Jul; 111(7):682-7.
- Mathai M, Schramm M, Baravilala W, Shankar V, Antonisamy B, Jeyaseelan L, Bergstrom S. Ethnicity and fetal growth in Fiji. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Aug; 44(4):318-21.
- Bangdiwala SI, Bordin I, Ramiro L, Sadowski L, Hunter W, Shankar VIntimate partner violence and the role of socio-economic indicators in WorldSAFE communities in Chile, Egypt, India and the Philippines. Injury Control and Safety Promotion. 2004, Jun;11(2):101-9.
- Runyan CW, Casteel C, Perkis D, Black C, Marshall SW, Johnson RM, Beasley TC, Waller AE, Viswanathan S Unintentional Injuries in the home in the United States – Part I: Mortality. Am J Prev Med 2005, 28(1), 73-79.
- Loganathan G, George R, Eapen CE, Mathai M, Jasper P, Seshadri L, Shankar V, Paul S, Joseph G, Balasubramanian KA, Chandy GM. Liver function tests in normal pregnancy: a study from southern India. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2005 Nov-Dec;24(6):268-9.
- Balamurugan AN, Chang Y, Bertera S, Sands A, ShankarV, Trucco M, Bottino R. Suitability of human juvenile pancreatic islets for clinical use. Diabetologia 2006 Aug;49(8):1845-54
- Peck MD, Shankar V, Bangdiwala SI. Trends in injury-related deaths before and after dissolution of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2007 Sep;14(3):139-51.
- Guskiewicz KM, Mihalik JP, Shankar V, Marshall SW, Crowell DH, Oliaro SM, Ciocca MF, & Hooker DN. Measurement of head impacts in collegiate football players: Relationship between head impact biomechanics and acute clinical outcome following concussion. Neurosurgery 2007 Dec; 61(6):1244-52.
- Shankar V, Bangdiwala SI. Behavior of agreement measures in the presence of zero cells and biased marginal distribution. J Applied Statistics 2008 35:4, 445 - 464.
- Shankar V, Jose VM, Bangdiwala SI, Thomas K. Epidemiology of Cleistanthus Collinus (Oduvan) Poisoning: Clinical Features and Risk Factors for Mortality. Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2009 16(4), 223-230.
- Runyan DK, Shankar V, Hassan F, Hunter WM, Jain D, Paula CS, Bangdiwala SI, Ramiro LS, Munoz, SR, Viscarra B, Bordin I. International Variations in Harsh Child Discipline. Pediatrics, 2010 Aug 2. [Epub ahead of print].
- Blalock SJ, Casteel C, Roth M, Ferreri S, Demby KB, Shankar V. Impact of Enhanced Pharmacologic Care on the Prevention of Falls: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother, 2010, 8(5) 428-440.
- Schlecht NF, Burk RD, Nucci-Sack A, Shankar V, Peake K, Lorde-Rollins E, Porter R, Linares LO, Rojas M, Strickler HD, Diaz, A. Cervical, anal and oral hpv in an adolescent inner-city health clinic providing free vaccinations. PloS ONE,May 2012, Vol 7(5), 1-10.
- Madan R, Carpenter C, Fiedler T, Kalyoussef S, McAndrew TC, Viswanathan S, Kim M, Keller MJ, Fredricks DN, Herold B. Altered Biomarkers of Mucosal Immunity and Reduced Vaginal Lactobacillus Concentrations in Sexually Active Female Adolescents. PLoS ONE 7(7): e40415.
- Smith BC, McAndrew T, Chen Z, Harari A, Viswanathan S, Rodriguez AC, Castle P, Schiffman M, Burk RD. The Cervical Microbiome over 7 Years and a Comparison of Methodologies for its Characterization. PLoS ONE2012; 7(7):e40415.
- Chen X, Wang Q, Cai J, Shankar V. Semiparametric additive marginal regression models for multiple type recurrent events. Lifetime Data Analysis, 2012 Oct; 18(4): 504-27.
- de Vos G, Shankar V, Nazari R, Kooragayulu S, Smith M, Wiznia A, Rosenstreich D. Fear of repeated injections in children < 4 years of age receiving subcutaneous allergy immunotherapy. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 2012 Dec; 109(6): 465-9.
- Kalyoussef S , Nieves E, Dinerman E , Carpenter C, Shankar V, Oh J , Burd B , Angeletti R, Buckheit KW, Fredricks DN, Madan R, Keller M, Herold B. Lactobacillus Proteins are Associated with the E. Coli Bactericidal Activity of Female Genital Tract Secretions. PLoS ONE, 2012;7(11):e49506.
- Runyan CW, Pierce M, Shankar V, Bangdiwala SI. Can student perpetrated crime on college campuses be predicted at the time of admissions? Injury Prevention, Published Online First: 23-0-2013, doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040644
- Tennant JN, Shankar V, Dirschl DR. Reliability and Validity of a Mobile Phone for Radiographic Assessment of Ankle Injuries: A Randomized Inter- and Intraobserver Agreement Study. Foot and Ankle International. 2013 34: 228 originally published online 11 January 2013.
- Bangdiwala SI, Shankar V. The agreement chart. BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2013 Jul 29;13(1):97.
- Nath KD, Burel JG, Shankar V, Pritchard AL, Towers M, Looke D, Davies JE, Upham JW. Clinical factors associated with the humoral immune response to influenza vaccination in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2014: (9), 51–56.
More Information About Dr. Shankar Viswanathan
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.