Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine (Allergy & Immunology)
Dr. Sunit Jariwala is an Assistant Professor of Medicine and an Attending physician for adult and pediatric Allergy/Immunology patients at the Montefiore and Jacobi Medical Centers of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He also sees patients at the Montefiore Asthma Center of Excellence. Dr. Jariwala is board certified in Internal Medicine. He earned his medical degree at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and completed his residency in Internal Medicine and his fellowship in Allergy/Immunology at Montefiore. Upon the completion of his training, he received the Leo Davidoff Award for outstanding achievement in the teaching of medical students.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Jariwala’s research focuses on the immunopathogenic mechanisms of allergic skin diseases, as well as the environmental triggers of asthma. He has recently published articles in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Journal of Asthma, Clinical & Experimental Allergy, and Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Dr. Jariwala is a member of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
A. Original Communications in Reviewed Journals:
1. Jariwala SP. SAMAR: A decade of service to the minority bone marrow donor registration disparity. Journal of the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin. 2002 Fall; 21.
2. Jariwala SP, Crowley JG, Roychowdhury S. Trauma-induced extracranial carotid artery dissection leading to multiple infarcts in a young female. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2006 Oct; 22(10):737-742.
3. Khan AM, Jariwala SP, Klapper P. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia with intramuscular progesterone (in oil) following in vitro fertilization. Fertility and Sterility. 2008 Oct; 90(4): 1200.e3-6.
4. Jariwala SP, Fodeman J, Rosenstreich D, Hudes G, Ahuja K. Functional antibody deficiency in a patient with type 1 Gaucher disease. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease. 2008 Apr 4; [Epub ahead of print]
5. Jariwala SP, Moday H, de Asis ML, Fodeman J, Hudes G, de Vos G, Rosenstreich D. The Urticaria Severity Score (USS), A Sensitive Questionnaire/Index for Monitoring Response to Therapy in Chronic Urticaria. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2009 Jun; 102: 475-482.
6. Fodeman J, Jariwala SP, Hudes G, Wittner M, Klapper P, Rosenstreich D. Scratching the Surface. American Journal of Medicine. 2010 Jan; 123(1): 22-26.
7. Fodeman J, Jariwala SP, Hudes G, Jerschow E, Rosenstreich D. Subcutaneous Allergen Immunotherapy in Three Patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2010 Oct; 105(4): 320-1.
8. Sharief S, Jariwala SP, Kumar J, Muntner P, Melamed M. Vitamin D and food and environmental allergy in the United States: Results from NHANES 2005-2006. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 May; 127(5): 1195-202.
9. Jariwala SP, Kurada V, Moday H, Thanjan A, Bastone L, Khananashvili M, Fodeman J, Hudes G, Rosenstreich D. Association between Tree Pollen Counts and Asthma ED Visits in a High-Density Urban Center. Journal of Asthma. 2011 Jun; 48(5): 442-8.
10. Jariwala SP, Vernon N, de Vos G. A novel method of desensitization for fluconazole hypersensitivity in a patient with AIDS. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2011 Jun; 106(6): 542-3.
11. Jariwala S, Vernon N, Shliozberg J. Henoch-Schonlein purpura after Hepatitis A vaccination. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2011 Aug; 107(2): 180-1.
12. Jariwala S, Langman Y, Benson A, Wolf E, Moss J, Zhu C, Brandt L. Strongyloidiasis presenting as eosinophilic ascites. Annals of Tropical Medicine & Parasitology. 2011 Jun; 105(4): 335-8.
13. Weiss K, Jariwala S, Wachs J, Jerschow E. Fixed drug eruption caused by mesna. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2011 Oct; 107(4): 377-8.
14. Shum M, Jariwala SP, Rosenstreich D. Successful C1 inhibitor prophylaxis during Zenker's diverticulum repair in a patient with hereditary angioedema. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2012 Feb; 108(2): 126-8.
15. Ferastraoaru DE, Jariwala NN, Jariwala SP. Strongyloides stercoralis infection in a patient with sickle cell disease. Annals of Tropical Medicine & Parasitology. 2011; 105(8): 647-50.
16. Rankin BT, Jariwala SP. Graded challenge protocol for fluconazole hypersensitivity in a patient with cryptococcal pneumonitis. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2012 Jun; 108(6): 466.
17. Patel SJ, Sindher S, Jariwala SP, Hudes G. Chronic Urticaria with Monoclonal IgG Gammopathy – a clinical variant of Schnitzler Syndrome? Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2012 Aug; 109(2): 147-8.
18. Sindher S, Jariwala SP, Gilbert J, Rosenstreich D. Resolution of chronic urticaria coincident with vitamin D supplementation. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2012 Nov; 109(5): 359-60.
19. Jerschow E, McGinn A, de Vos G, Vernon N, Jariwala SP, Hudes G, Rosenstreich D. Environmental pesticides and allergies: results from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2006. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2012 Dec; 109(6): 420-5.
20. Parikh P, Kooragayalu S, Jariwala SP. Mannose-Binding Lectin Deficiency in a Patient with Multiple Opportunistic Infections, Strongyloidiasis, and Spindle Cell Tumor. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2013 Feb; 110(2): 120-1.
21. Jariwala SP, Benson A, Patel P, Friedman A, Broadway K. An unusual association between Sweet’s syndrome and metastatic papillary follicular thyroid carcinoma. Annals of Dermatology. 2013 Feb; 25(1): 84-7.
22. Reid N, Jariwala SP, Fodeman J, Jerschow E, Hudes G, Rosenstreich D. Worsening of Contact Dermatitis by Oral Hydroxyzine: A Case Report. Dermatology Online Journal. 2013 Feb; 19(2): 4.
23. Rampur L, Jariwala SP, Viau R, Patel P, Rosenstreich D. DRESS syndrome with suspected Strongyloides infection in a patient treated for hepatitis C. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2013 Aug; 111(2): 138-9.
24. Jariwala SP, Toh J, Shum M, de Vos G, Zou K, Sindher S, Patel P, Zou K, Geevarghese A, Tavdy A, Rosenstreich D. Association between asthma-related emergency department visits and pollen concentrations in the Bronx, 2001-2008. Journal of Asthma. 2014 Feb; 51(1): 79-83.
25. Jerschow E, Parikh P, McGinn A, de Vos G, Jariwala S, Hudes G, Rosenstreich D. Relationship between urine dichlorophenol levels and asthma morbidity. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2014 Jun; 112(6): 511-518.
26. Ferastraoaru D, Rosenstreich D, Jariwala S. Severe Angioedema Associated With Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Therapy in Two Patients with Pollen-Food Allergy Syndrome. Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 2015 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print].
27. Guha M, Jariwala S, Jinjolava N, Mazer N, Revere E, Riska P, Jerschow E. Toxocariasis presenting as eosinophilic ascites in a postpartum female. Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2015 Jun; 39(2): 284-6.
28. Lautenbacher L, Jariwala SP, Markowitz M, Rastogi D. Vitamin D and pulmonary function in obese asthmatic children. Pediatr Pulmonol (Accepted).
B. Books, Chapters in Books, and Review Articles:
1. Jariwala SP. The role of dendritic cells in the immunopathogenesis of psoriasis. Arch Dermatol Res. 2007 Oct; 299(8):359-66.
2. Jariwala S, Abrams E, Benson A, Fodeman J, Zheng T. The role of thymic stromal lymphopoietin in the immunopathogenesis of atopic dermatitis. Clinical & Experimental Allergy. 2011 Nov; 41(11): 1515-20.
3. Benson AA, Toh J, Vernon N, Jariwala SP. The Role of Vitamin D in the Immunopathogenesis of Allergic Skin Diseases. Allergy. 2012 Mar; 67(3): 296-301.
4. Jariwala SP, Rastogi D, Sinha S. Asthma, pulmonary diseases and vocal cord dysfunction. In: Rosenstreich DL, de Vos GS, Jackman A, eds. Manual of Allergy and Immunology for Otolaryngologists. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing, Inc.; 2015.
5. Jariwala SP, Desai T, Rosenstreich D. Allergic Rhinitis: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications. Respimirror. 2015 July-Aug; 5(3): 1-2.
6. Jariwala SP, Desai T. The Association Between Obesity and Asthma in South Asians. Journal of the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin. 2016 Jan; 30-35.
More Information About Dr. Sunit Jariwala
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
Montefiore Medical Group
1635 Poplar Street
Bronx, NY 10461