Matthew S. Robbins, M.D.
Matthew S. Robbins, M.D earned his B.S. from Yale University and his M.D. from SUNY-Downstate College of Medicine. He completed his neurology residency at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine / Montefiore Medical Center, where he was also a chief resident and then a fellow in Headache Medicine at the Montefiore Headache Center. He then joined the faculty and is currently an Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology, Chief of Neurology at the Jack D. Weiler Hospital of Montefiore, and Director of Inpatient Services for the Montefiore Headache Center. For the neurology residency he is Associate Program Director and directs the residency research program.
He is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, the International Headache Society, and a Fellow of the American Headache Society (AHS), with several section and committee memberships, including Chair of the Procedural Headache Medicine section of AHS. He reviews for many journals including Neurology, Cephalalgia, Headache, and Cochrane Reviews. He is an associate editor for Headache where he also is the Resident and Fellow section co-editor, section editor for Current Pain and Headache Reports and the Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, and is on the Board of Directors of the New York State Neurological Society. He has served as lead editor for the book Headache in the “Neurology In Practice” series, and has published widely on topics including headache procedures, headache in pregnancy and the elderly, new daily-persistent headache, unusual primary and secondary headache disorders, unusual forms of migraine aura, and neurologic education. He was granted the 2015 Members’ Choice award for the best publication in the journal Headache as voted on by the American Headache Society membership for leading an expert consensus statement on trigger point injections for headache disorders.
A. Original Communications in Reviewed Journals
- Verghese J, Robbins M, Holtzer R, Zimmerman M, Wang C, Xue X, Lipton RB. Gait dysfunction in mild cognitive impairment syndromes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008;56:1244-1251.
- Bigal ME, Kurth T, Santanello N, Buse D, Golden W, Robbins M, Lipton RB. Migraine and cardiovascular disease. A population-based study. Neurology 2010;74:628-635.
- Robbins MS, Grosberg BM, Lipton RB. Coexisting trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias and hemicrania continua. Headache 2010;50:489-496.
- Robbins MS, Grosberg BM, Napchan U, Crystal SC, Lipton RB. Clinical and prognostic subforms of new daily-persistent headache. Neurology 2010;74:1358-1364.
- Cascella C, Rosen JB, Robbins MS. Teaching case: symptomatic SUNCT. Headache 2011;51:1022-1026.
- Silberstein SD, Robbins MS. Editorial: Targeting sleep disruption using sodium oxybate in chronic cluster headache prophylaxis. Neurology 2011;77:16-17.
- Robbins MS. Paracetamol is more effective than placebo for migraine, and paracetamol 1000 mg plus metoclopramidine 10 mg is similarly effective to oral sumatriptan 100 mg for migraine relief at two hours. Evid Based Med 2011;16:114-115.
- Robbins MS, Verghese J, Antoniello D. Gait apraxia from acute unilateral parasagittal lesions. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2011;113:782-784.
- Coleman ER, Grosberg BM, Robbins MS. Olfactory hallucinations in primary headache disorders: case series and literature review. Cephalalgia 2011;31:1477-1489.
- Mohen SA, Robbins MS. Harry Potter and nummular headache. Headache 2012;52:323-324.
- Robbins MS, Bronheim R, Lipton RB, Grosberg BM, Vollbracht S, Sheftell FD, Buse DC. Depression and anxiety in episodic and chronic cluster headache: a pilot study. Headache 2012;52:600-611.
- Blumenfeld A, Ashkenazi A, Napchan U, Bender SD, Klein B, Berliner R, Ailani J, Schim J, Friedman D, Charleston IV L,Young WB, Robertson CE, Dodick DW, Silberstein SD, Robbins MS. Expert Consensus Recommendations for the Performance of Peripheral Nerve Blocks for Headaches – A Narrative Review. Headache. 2013;53:437-446.
- Glover RL, Vollbracht S, Robbins MS. Headache rounds: acute postpartum headache. Headache 2014;54:1073-1084.
- Robbins MS, Kuruvilla D, Blumenfeld A, Charleston IV L, Sorrell M, Robertson CE, Grosberg BM, Bender SD, Napchan U, Ashkenazi A. Trigger point injections for headache disorders: expert consensus methodology and narrative review. Headache 2014;54:1441-1459.
- Robbins MS, Schwedt TJ, Ward TN, Roberts J. From the editorial office: Headache (@HeadacheJournal) and Twitter. Headache 2014;54:1437-1438.
- Robbins MS. Cluster belly: a variant of irritable bowel syndrome. Headache 2014;54:1644-1646.
- Govindappagari S, GrossmanTB, Dayal AK, Grosberg BM, Vollbracht S, Robbins MS. Peripheral nerve blocks in the treatment of migraine in pregnancy: a case series. Obstet Gynecol 2014;124:1169-1174.
- Miller EE, Grosberg BM, Crystal SC, Robbins MS. Auditory hallucinations associated with migraine: case series and literature review. Cephalalgia 2015;35:923-930.
- Robbins MS. Editorial: Peripheral nerve blocks, steroid injections, and their niche in headache medicine. Cephalalgia 2015;35:850-852.
- Robbins MS. 2014 Headache Members’ Choice Award. Headache 2015;55:760-761.
- Robbins MS, Farmakidis C, Dayal AK, Lipton RB. Acute headache diagnosis in pregnant women: a hospital-based study. Neurology 2015;85:1024-1030.
- Robbins MS, Robertson CE, Ailani J, Levin M, Friedman DI, Dodick DW. Procedural Headache Medicine in Neurology Residency Training: A Survey of US Program Directors. Headache 2015 Sept 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Reddi S, Honchar V, Robbins MS. Pneumocephalus associated with epidural and spinal anesthesia for labor. Neurol Clin Pract 2015;5:376-382.
- Robbins MS, Grosberg BM, Lipton RB, eds. Neurology In Practice: Headache, 1st ed. London: Wiley-Blackwell; 2013.
C. Review Articles:
- Robbins MS, Lipton RB. The epidemiology of primary headache disorders. Semin Neurol 2010;30:107-119.
- Robbins MS, Lipton RB. Management of headache in the elderly. Drugs Aging 2010;27:1-22.
- Robbins MS, Crystal SC. New daily-persistent headache versus tension-type headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2010;14:431-435.
- Crystal SC, Robbins MS. Epidemiology of tension-type headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2010;14:449-454.
- Crystal SC, Robbins MS. Tension-type headache mimics. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2011;15:459-466.
- Schwartz DP, Robbins MS. Primary headache disorders and neuro-ophthalmologic manifestations. Eye and Brain 2012;4:49-61.
- Robbins MS, Evans RW. Expert opinion: the heterogeneity of new daily-persistent headache. Headache 2012;52:1579-1589.
- Robbins MS. The psychiatric comorbidities of cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2013;17:313.
- Schwartz DP, Robbins MS, Grosberg BM. Nummular headache update. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2013;17:340.
- Robbins MS. New daily persistent headache. In: Greenamyre JT, editor-in-chief. MedLink Neurology. San Diego: MedLink Corporation. Available at www.medlink.com. Last updated December 20, 2012.
- Charlson RE, Robbins MS. Hemicrania continua. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2014;14:436.
- Vishwanath V, Wong E, Crystal S, Robbins MS, Filopoulos, Lipton RB, Yazici Y, Kister I. Headache in Behçet’s Disease: review of literature and NYU Behcet’s Syndrome Center experience. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2014;18:445.
- Hagler S, Ballaban-Gil K, Robbins MS. Primary stabbing headache in adults and children. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2014;18:450.
- Robbins MS, Evans RW. Expert opinion: primary and secondary stabbing headache. Headache 2015;55:565-570.
- Robbins MS, Lipton RB. Transcutaneous and percutaneous neurostimulation for headache disorders. Headache 2015, in press.
- Armand C, Robbins MS. Cough headache. In: Greenamyre JT, editor-in-chief. MedLink Neurology. San Diego: MedLink Corporation. 2015, in press.
- Robbins MS, Robertson CE, Kaplan E, Ailani J, Charleston IV L, Kuruvilla D, Blumenfeld A, Berliner A, Rosen NL, Duarte R, Vidwan J, Halker RB, Gill N, Ashkenazi A. The sphenopalatine ganglion: anatomy, pathophysiology, and therapeutic targeting in headache. Headache 2015, in press.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.