Shahina B. Maqbool, Ph.D.
My research focuses on epigenomics, genomics and cell signaling. My research specialties include massively-parallel sequencing (MPS) using high-throughput technologies available such as Illumina HiSeq 2000, Genome Analyzer (GAIIx) and Roche Genome Sequencer FLX (454), NimbleGen microarray and Sequence Capture or targeted resequencing technology using multiple platforms, quantitative Real Time-PCR (qPCR), data analysis and bioinformatics. Also experienced in web designing as well as SQL languages and programming. I have generated and utilized genomic resources to reveal the molecular, genetic and biochemical mechanisms regulating growth, development, metabolisms and stress/defense responses to various biotic and abiotic stresses in bacteria, fungi, plants and Drosophila.
- McPike, M.P., Maqbool, S.B., Chen, L., Ouyang, W., Borer, P.N. Parallel analysis of protein binding to DNA libraries using multiplexed microarray chips. Nucleic Acid Research (NAR): 2011. (In Press)
- Maqbool, S.B., Mehrotra, S., Kolpakas, A, Durden, C., Zhang, B, Zhong, H. and Calvi, B.R. Dampened activity of E2F1–DP and Myb–MuvB transcription factors in Drosophila endocycling cells. J. Cell Science 123: 4095-4106, 2010.
- Maqbool, S.B., Zhong, H., Oraby, F.H. and Sticklen, M.B. Transformation of oats and its application to improving osmotic stress tolerance. In: ed. (Huw D. Jones and Peter R. Shewry), Transgenic Wheat, Barley and Oats: Production and Characterization Protocol Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol . 478, pp. 149-168, 2009.
- Mehrotra, S., Maqbool, S.B., Kolpakas, A, Murnen, K. and Calvi, B.R. Endocycling cells do not apoptose in response to DNA re-replication genotoxic stress. Genes & Development 22: 3158-3171, 2008.
- Jagadeeswaran, G., Raina, S., Biswa R. Acharya, B.R., Maqbool, S.B., Mosher, S.L., Appel, H.M., Schultz, J.C., Klessig, D.F., Raina, R., Arabidopsis GH3-LIKE DEFENSE GENE 1 is required for accumulation of salicylic acid, activation of defense responses and resistance to Pseudomonas syringae. The Plant Journal 51:234-246, 2007.
- Maqbool, S.B., Ahmad, A., Hashsham, S.A. Detection and quantification of phosphorus removing microorganisms in wastewater treatment plants using Real Time PCR. Research Journal of Environmental Sciences 1: 229-236, 2007.
- Acharya, B. R., Raina, S., Maqbool, S.B., Jagadeshwaran, G., Appel, H.M., Schultz, J.C., Klessig, D.F. Raina, R., Overexpression of CRK13, an Arabidopsis cysteine-rich receptor-like kinase, results in enhanced resistance to Pseudomonas syringae. The Plant Journal 50:488-499, 2007.
- Maqbool, S.B., Ahmad, A., Dhawan, A., Callister, S.J., Tsoi, T., Sticklen, M.B., Hashsham, S.A. Response of selected genes of Burkholderia xenovorans strain LB400 to onion extract using a DNA:RNA hybrid capture detection system. Research Journal of Microbiology 1:378-391, 2006.
- Ahmad, A., Maqbool, S.B., Hashsham, S.A., Sticklen, M.B. Determination of cryIAb and cryIAc copy number in transgenic Basmati 370 Rice (Oryza sativa L.) plants using Real-time PCR and its comparison with Southern Blot. Journal of Biological Sciences 5:283-288, 2005.
More Information About Dr. Shahina Maqbool
Epigenomics Shared Facility
Center for Epigenomics
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.