The mission of the Einstein LGBT Steering Committee of the Office of Student Affairs is to establish and maintain an environment to support the personal and professional development of LGBT students and to prepare all students to address LGBT-related health disparities and health care issues. The committee, through collaboration with institutional, local, national, and international entities strives to ensure that all interested students are supported to achieve scholarship in LGBT-related patient care, research, educational initiatives, and community service and eventually serve as the next generation of health care leaders.
Consistent with the mission of Einstein “to promote the pursuit of scientific excellence with the social mission to improve human health” our goals are to:
- Help develop and attract qualified LGBT students and students interested in LGBT-related health care disparities and health care to Einstein’s academic programs;
- Through mentorship, ensure the personal and professional development of LGBT students and students interested in LGBT-related health disparities and health care;
- Create an institutional climate that supports all LGBT students, staff, faculty, and patients;
- Raise an awareness of LGBT history and current challenges in promoting LGBT health equity;
- Facilitate the development of future LGBT leaders by promoting student involvement in institutional, local, national, and international leadership roles.
Visibility & Community
Einstein respects LGBT students, staff, and faculty and aims to build a supportive institutional climate. To facilitate a supportive institutional climate, the committee is continuously identifying LGBT role models, supporters, allies, champions, and mentors. Furthermore, to better prepare students and faculty to facilitate a supportive institutional climate, the committee has developed the Safe Zone LGBT Allies and Mentoring Training Program. Institutional members enrolled in the program participate in a workshop and receive on-going support to serve as LGBT Allies and Mentors.