As part of Einstein’s Diversity and Inclusion efforts, we have introduced a Safe Zone Allies program. The program, is designed to create and maintain a network of informed individuals willing to be visible supporters of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning + (LGBTQ+) people on campus.
We would like every department at Einstein to identify a staff and/or faculty member to be a safe zone ally volunteer for your department. Safe Zone allies are active and visible volunteers who support members of the LGBTQ+ community in a safe and accepting environment. Being a Safe Zone ally is not only important at Einstein, it is also a nationwide priority. According to Safe Zone Project’s website more than 50 percent of higher education institutions in the U.S. have a safe zone project aimed towards nondiscrimination, education and acceptance.
To become a safe zone ally, volunteers must attend a Level I program. The program will be facilitated by Chelsea Fullerton, Director of Pride Center for Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity at Lehigh University. We will also offer a Level II program for those that are interested in being able to facilitate in depth discussions on transgender issues and experiences. Below is a description of Level I and II programs and an outline of the program dates and times.
Program description and logistics
- Level I will focus on: LGBTQ+ terminology and basic concepts, skill building for LGBTQ+ allyship and tips for creating an inclusive and welcoming environment. To become an ally, volunteers must participate in the Level I learning program.
- Level II will focus on in-depth discussion of transgender identities and experiences of LGBTQ+ in healthcare. Level II will be open to participants that have attended a Level I program.
- November 17, 2017 - 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Monday, April 23, 2018 - 3:00pm to 5:00pm
- Friday, October 12, 2018 - 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Friday, January 25, 2019 - 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- December 7,2017 - 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Monday, May 14,2018 - 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Friday, November 9,2018 - 3:00pm to 5:00pm
- Monday, February 11, 2019 - 10:00am to 12:00pm
At the conclusion of the program, participants will receive a Safe Zone logo in order to visibly demonstrate their support.
Please contact Kyoto Cotton, Kyoto.email@example.com, for more information and registration. With your assistance we hope to achieve 100% participation from every department in the College. Thank you.
Irene Blanco, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
Associate Dean for Diversity Enhancement
Yvonne M. Ramirez
Vice President for Human Resources