The Albert Einstein Weiler campus is located in the northeast section of the Bronx in a quiet, low-density, residential area near City Island and a short drive from the Bronx Zoo. The campus is adjacent to a well-developed system of major highways, as well as to bus and subway transportation. It is within minutes of Westchester County, Connecticut, LaGuardia Airport, and the cultural and entertainment resources of Manhattan. The hospital is next to the basic science buildings of the medical school.
The main teaching facility of the Einstein Campus is the Weiler Hospital, which serves a large population in the Bronx and lower Westchester.
Weiler Hospital (also known as the Einstein Division of Montefiore Medical Center)
Weiler Hospital, located on the south side of campus, is a full-service voluntary hospital of 414 beds. The medical service occupies:
- 86 general medical beds
- 60 telemetry beds
- 14 oncology beds
- 19-bed coronary care unit
- 14-bed intensive care unit
In addition, residents participate in ambulatory care rotations at Montefiore Medical Park, a full-time multi-specialty faculty practice located 2 blocks from the hospital.
Faculty and Department Structure
The Department of Medicine has a large and diverse faculty, including:
- Clinical science faculty members based at the Albert Einstein campus, who conduct the ongoing research of the Department of Medicine and regularly participate in medical service rounds in their subspecialties.
- Hospital-based clinical faculty, concerned primarily with the clinical education of medical students, house officers, and fellows.
- Voluntary faculty in private practice in the surrounding community, who admit their patients to Weiler Hospital and serve as attending physicians.
Faculty are deeply committed to providing house officers a broad-based education in general internal medicine, with balanced emphasis on clinical and investigational skills. Chief residents, attendings, and service directors directly supervise house officers.