Einstein/Montefiore Department of Medicine

Programs of the Department

Programs of the Department of Medicine

Over the years, the Department of Medicine has developed major programs in medical student, residency, and specialty fellowship training; clinical care; and research. During Irving London’s chairmanship, faculty members with common subspecialty interests held specialty clinics, conferences, and rounds. In the beginning, there were no formal specialty divisions, because Dr. London preferred a more flexible departmental structure. Such divisions were organized later, during the tenure of Dr. Neal Bricker.

Undergraduate Medical Education Programs

During the College’s early years, members of the Department planned and conducted courses in Diagnostic Methodology for the second year medical students (which included History Taking, Physical Diagnosis, and Clinical Pathology); a clinical clerkship in Medicine for the third year medical students; a 16-week outpatient clerkship in Medicine and Pediatrics for the fourth year medical students (run for the Department of Medicine by Robert Shimm); and, in later years, what was first an elective and then a required substitute internship in Medicine for the fourth year medical students.

In the early 1970s, several members of the Department organized a multi-specialty outpatient clerkship for fourth year medical students. However, student and then faculty interest in this activity waned after a few years. At about that time, the College undertook a major curriculum revision which emphasized an organ-systems approach to teaching during preclinical years. With this reformulation, members of the Department became responsible for much of the teaching in cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, pulmonary, and renal physiology; for a new second year course in pathophysiology; and for endocrinology, hematology, and infectious diseases.

In the earliest years, all of the students’ clinical teaching took place at Jacobi and Van Etten Hospitals (now renamed the Jacobi Ambulatory Care Pavilion). From the late 1960s to the mid-1970s clerkship teaching was also done at Lincoln Hospital and during the mid-1960s at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital. Beginning in the late 1960s, with the increase in the medical school class size from 96 to 120, and later to 176 students, clinical clerkships were also started at Montefiore Hospital. Currently, students take Medicine clerkships at Jacobi, Weiler, Montefiore, Long Island Jewish, and Beth Israel Hospitals.

Calendar

Grand Rounds will resume in September 2014

East Campus

West Campus

Archive

Contact Us

Department of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus
Belfer Building - Room 1008
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461 (directions)

718.430.2591
Fax: 718.430.8563

 
Click here to log in