Einstein/Montefiore Department of Medicine

The Einstein-Montefiore Merger

The Einstein-Montefiore Merger

In 1980, the Departments of Medicine at Einstein and Montefiore were merged (the other clinical departments were also merged over the next several years). The chairmen of these combined clinical departments became responsible for the teaching, research, and clinical activities at Einstein, Montefiore, and Jacobi, as well as providing academic oversight of the departments at all of Einstein’s other affiliated institutions, including Bronx-Lebanon and North Central Bronx Hospitals.

In 1980, Louis Sherwood became the first Chairman of the unified Department of Medicine. He left in 1987 to work at Merck, and until recently was their Senior Vice President of United States Medical and Scientific Affairs. James Scheuer became Acting Chairman in 1987 and Chairman in 1990. In June 1999, he relinquished the arduous administrative responsibilities and returned to teaching and research, and Philip Lief was the Acting Chairman during the rest of 1999. John Hardin became Chairman in January 2000, relinquished the role in 2002 to return to research and teaching, and was succeeded in late 2002 by Victor L. Schuster.

Calendar

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Update on Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Management
Evelyn Horn, MD
12:15 PM : Forchheimer Medical Science Building 3rd Floor Lecture Hall

Grand Rounds

Einstein (East) & Moses (West) Campus

Archive

Contact Us

Department of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus
Belfer Building - Room 1008
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461 (directions)

718.430.2591
Fax: 718.430.8563

 
Click here to log in