Performance and Process Improvement Data
Program coordinators, data managers, administrative and nursing personnel collect data on the care of transplant patients encompassing key aspects of patient selection, wait list management, care coordination, pre-transplant, peri-operative and post-operative management.
Evaluative performance measures include:
- Patient and donor selection (medical history, status, appropriateness of selection)
- Pre-transplant care (timeliness of evaluation, wait list management)
- Intra-operative management (organ ischemic times, blood product utilization)
- Post-operative care (complication, re-operation, and infection rates)
- Overall measures (volume, length of stay, mortality rates, patient satisfaction, readmission rates)
- Measures required by external agencies (including Medicare and Medicaid, Joint Commission, NYS Department of Health, and numerous transplant societies)
Transplant program leaders further define measures, using externally standardized and cross-program definitions.