Michal L. Melamed, M.D.
My research interests are broad and include the epidemiology of and ethnic and racial disparities in chronic kidney disease and its complications, the epidemiology and health consequences of vitamin D deficiency and acute kidney injury. I received my medical school, Internal Medicine residency and Nephrology fellowship at Johns Hopkins. I received a Masters in Clinical Epidemiology during my fellowship from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
I currently am funded on an NIH K23 grant entitled "Racial Disparities in Vitamin D and Chronic Kidney Disease: Are they related?" with funding from 2007-2012. Recent publications can be searched for on the PubMed link and include publications in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, Archives of Internal Medicine, the American Journal of Kidney Disease, Kidney International and others.
- Melamed ML, Kim HS, Jaar BG, Molmenti E, Atta MG, Samaniego MD. Combined percutaneous mechanical and chemical thrombectomy for renal vein thrombosis in kidney transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2005 Mar;5(3):621-6.
- Powe NR, Melamed ML. Racial Disparities in the Optimal Delivery of Chronic Kidney Disease Care. Med Clin North Am. 2005 May;89(3):475-488.
- Melamed ML, Eustace JA, Plantinga L, Jaar BG, Fink NE, Klag MJ, Coresh J, Powe NR. Changes in Serum Calcium, Phosphate and PTH and the Risk of Death in Incident Dialysis Patients: A Longitudinal Study. Kidney Int 2006 Jul;70(2):351-7.
- Gupta R, Plantinga LC, Fink NE, Melamed ML, Coresh J, Fox CS, Levin NW, Powe NR. Statin use and hospitalization for sepsis in patients with chronic kidney disease. JAMA 2007 Apr 4;297(13):1455-64.
- Hailpern SM, Melamed ML, Cohen HW, Hostetter T. Moderate Chronic Kidney Disease and Cognitive Function in Adults 20-59 Years of Age (NHANES III). J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007 Jul;18(7):2205-13.
- Melamed ML, Michos ED, Post W, Astor B. 25-Hydroxyl Vitamin D Levels and the Risk of Mortality in the General Population. Arch Intern Med. 2008 Aug 11;168(15):1629-37.
- Plantinga LC, Fink NE, Melamed ML, Briggs WA, Powe NR, Jaar BG. Serum Phosphate Levels and the Risk of Infection in Incident Dialysis Patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008 Sep;3(5):1398-406.
- Melamed ML*, Muntner P*, Michos ED, Uribarri J, Weber C, Sharma J, Raggi P. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D Levels and the Prevalence of Peripheral Arterial Disease: Results from NHANES 2001-2004. Atheroscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008 Jun;28(6)1179-85.
- Melamed ML, Bauer C, Hostetter TH. eGFR: is it ready for early identification of CKD? Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008 Sep;3(5):1569-72.
- Huang CX, Plantinga LC, Fink NE, Melamed ML, Coresh J, Powe NR. Phosphate Levels and Blood Pressure in Incident Hemodialysis Patients: A Longitudinal Study. Adv in Chronic Kidney Dis. 2008 Jul;15(3):321-31.
- Wolf M, Betancourt J, Chang Y, Shah A, Teng M, Tamez H, Camargo CA, Melamed M, Norris K, Stampfer MJ, Powe NR, Thadhani R. Impact of Activated Vitamin D and Race on Hemodialysis Survival. J Am Soc Nephrol 2008 Jul;19(7)1379-88.
- Raff AC, Lieu S, Melamed ML, Quan Z, Ponda M, Meyer TW, Hostetter TH. Relationship of Impaired Olfactory Function in ESRD to Malnutrition and Retained Uremic Molecules. Am J Kidney Dis. 2008 Jul;52(1):102-110.
- Bauer C, Melamed ML, Hostetter TH. Staging of Chronic Kidney Disease: Time for a Course Correction. J Am Soc Nephr 2008 May;19(5):844-6.
- Michos ED, Melamed ML. Vitamin D and cardiovascular disease risk. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008 Jan;11:1:7-12.
- Melamed ML, Eustace JA, Plantinga LC, Jaar BG, Fink NE, Parekh RS, Coresh J, Yang Z, Cantor T, Powe NR. Third-Generation Parathyroid Hormone Assays and All-Cause Mortality in Incident Dialysis Patients: The CHOICE Study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008 May; 23(5):1650-8.
- Ponda MP, Quan Z, Melamed ML, Raff A, Meyer TW, Hostetter TH. Methylamine clearance by haemodialysis is low. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009 Dec 17. 2010 May; 25(5):1608-13.
- Melamed ML, Astor B, Michos ED, Hostetter TH, Powe NR, Muntner P. 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels, race, and the progression of kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Dec;20(12):2631-9. Epub 2009 Oct 29.
- Tonelli M, Curhan G, Pfeffer M, Sacks F, Thadhani R, Melamed ML, Wiebe N, Muntner P. Relation between alkaline phosphatase, serum phosphate, and all-cause or cardiovascular mortality. Circulation. 2009 Nov 3;120(18):1784-92.
- Golestaneh L, Melamed ML, Hostetter TH. Uremic memory: the role of acute kidney injury in long-term outcomes. Kidney Int. 2009 Oct;76(8):813-4.
- Plantinga LC, Fink NE, Coresh J, Sozio SM, Parekh RS, Melamed ML, Powe NR, Jaar BG. Peripheral vascular disease-related procedures in dialysis patients: predictors and prognosis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Oct;4(10):1637-45.
- Kumar J, Muntner P, Kaskel FJ, Hailpern SM, Melamed ML. Prevalence and Associations of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency in US Children: NHANES 2001-2004. Pediatrics. 2009 Aug 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Melamed ML, Thadhani R. Low calcidiol levels and coronary artery calcification: true, true, and related? J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Aug;20(8)
- Shah SN, Abramowitz M, Hostetter TH, Melamed ML. Serum bicarbonate levels and the progression of kidney disease: a cohort study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009 Aug;54(2):270-7.
- Muntner P, Jones TM, Hyre AD, Melamed ML, Alper A, Raggi P, Leonard MB. Association of serum intact parathyroid hormone with lower estimated glomerular filtration rate. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Jan;4(1):186-94.
- Abramowitz M, Muntner P, Coco M, Southern W, Lotwin I, Hostetter TH, Melamed ML. Serum alkaline phosphatase and phosphate and risk of mortality and hospitalization. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 Apr 8 Epub. 2010 Jun;5(6):1064-71.
- Millen AE, Wactawski-Wende J, Pettinger M, Melamed ML, Tylavsky FA, Liu S, Robbins J, LaCroix AZ, LeBoff MS, Jackson RD. Predictors of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations among postmenopausal women: the Women’s Health Initiative Calcium plus Vitamin D clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May; 91(5):1324-35.
- Melamed ML, Kumar J. Low levels of 25-hydroxycitamin D in the pediatric populations: prevalence and clinical outcomes. Ped Health. 2010 Feb;4(1):89-97.
- Murea M, Park JK, Sharma S, Kato H, Gruenwald A, Niranjan T, Si H, Thomas DB, Pullman JM, Melamed ML, Susztak K. Expression of Notch pathway proteins correlates with albuminuria, glomerulosclerosis, and renal function. Kidney Int. 2010 June 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Melamed ML, Hostetter TH. Ionizing radiation exposure: another under recognized risk factor for poor health outcomes in dialysis patients. Invited editorial. Kidney Int. 2010 Oct;78(8):724-5.
- Melamed ML, Blackwell T, Neugarten J, Arnsten J, Ensrud K, Ishani A, Cummings S, Silbiger S. Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, is renoprotective: a post-hoc analysis. Kidney Int. 2010 Epub
- O’ Seaghdha CM, Hwang S-J, Muntner P, Melamed ML*, Fox CS*. Serum phosphorus predicts incident Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant (in press)
- Abramowitz MK, Hostetter TH, Melamed ML. Association of Serum Bicarbonate Levels with Gait Speed and Quadriceps Strength in Older Adults. Am J Kidney Dis (in press)
- Sharief S, Jariwala S, Kumar J, Muntner P, Melamed ML. Vitamin D levels and food and environmental allergies in the United States: Results from NHANES 2005-6. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (In press).
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.