The Program Director provides formal review of fellow progress and/or deficiencies. The Program Director monitors each fellow’s progress in the training program using the following methods:
- Each fellow's evaluation from each rotation is reviewed by the Program Director.
- The Program Director notes comments on each fellow’s performance made by faculty members at the faculty meeting, and these comments are incorporated into fellow evaluation and feedback.
- The Program Director meets informally with all fellows at quarterly intervals to touch base with the fellows, monitor each fellow’s level of stress, gather feedback about the training program, record criticisms about the training program, and solicit recommendations for improvement of the training program.
- The Program Director seeks comments from fellow coworkers in the hospital and clinics to assess the ability of each fellow to interact with staff and communicate with patients from a different perspective (not a faculty mentor, but nursing staff, etc).
- The Program Director will meet with each fellow semiannually to review and discuss these. A note summarizing this meeting and the fellow’s performance is prepared for the fellow's file.
At the June/July juncture each year, the Program Director produces a composite evaluation that summarizes the comments of all attending physicians who have supervised fellows on the hospital rotations or clinics. This evaluation will be used as the primary basis for certification of clinical competence in Nephrology required by the ABIM.