Geriatrics Education for General Surgery Residents (GSR) 2009-2011
Funded by The American Geriatrics Society & The John A. Hartford Foundation
Arnold Berlin, MD, Department of Surgery
Keerti Sharma, MB, BS, Division of Geriatrics
The goals of this project are to enhance medical knowledge, clinical and communications skills in geriatrics, and foster collaborative care of geriatric surgical patients.
- Department of Surgery Grand Rounds - Faculty from the Division of Geriatrics present at four Department of Surgery Grand Rounds on an annual basis.
- Geriatric Surgery Case-Based Conference - This bimonthly conference is held during the Geriatrics Multidisciplinary Care Conference and is dedicated to geriatric surgical issues.
- Residents’ Core Curriculum - Faculty from the Division of Geriatrics present six General Surgery Residents core curriculum lectures.
- Geriatrics-Surgery Walk Rounds - Monthly educational bedside teaching with Geriatrics and Surgery faculty.
- Geriatrics-Surgery Pocket Card - Designed and distributed a pocket card with key geriatrics assessment tools for surgical residents.
- Geriatrics Surgery OSCE - Surgical residents are assessed on their communication skills and ability to recognize functional and cognitive deficits using a Geriatrics-Surgery OSCE.
- Knowledge Testing - A pre and post geriatrics knowledge base of all surgical residents is administered using questions adapted from the Geriatrics Review Syllabus.