Treating the Whole Person: Comprehensive Care of Older Adults
The Einstein-Montefiore geriatrics team assesses, treats, and coordinates care for all different types of conditions affecting older adults. These include:
- Common medical illnesses such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart conditions, arthritis, emphysema, and diabetes.
- Geriatric syndromes such as falls, balance problems, osteoporosis, urinary incontinence, and sleep disturbances.
- Memory loss, depression, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and related issues that affect patients and their families.
- Changes in function that can impact well-being and independence, such as ability to walk and manage their own care
- Evaluation of potential elder abuse and neglect
The Treatment Process
We begin with a complete patient evaluation, including physical health and ambulation, examination of memory, medication usage, and nutrition.
The assessment and recommended plan is then discussed with the patient and caregivers.