Division of Cardiology

Einstein/Montefiore Cardiology History

1884 

Montefiore Medical Center was established, named after philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore.

1901  

Asthma patients at Montefiore are treated with adrenalin chloride – one of the first clinical uses of adrenalin.

1914  

Ernst Boas, M.D. develops the cardiotachometer, an innovative instrument for measuring the heart rate, now on display in the Smithsonian Museum.

1920  

Montefiore opens clinics for heart disease, cancer and diabetes.

Montefiore participates in trials of insulin as treatment for diabetes.

1930  

Montefiore conducts clinical trials on the use of diuretics for treating edema in heart failure.

The Division of Cardiology begins as a postgraduate training program.

1946  

Montefiore Medical Center opens one of the first cardiac catheterization laboratories.

1950s  

Montefiore advances research on cardiac catheterization and surgery becoming a leading center for heart disease.

Montefiore physicians develop the heart-lung machine used in surgery to correct congenital heart defects.

Dr. Seymour Furman passes a copper wire, the tip wrapped in tin foil, into a right ventricle – inventing the transvenous pacemaker.

 

1960     

The first CABG in the United States was performed at Einstein/Jacobi Medical Center by Dr. Robert Goetz.

1963    

Montefiore begins an affiliation with the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

1970s  

Montefiore invents cardiac pacemaker monitoring by telephone, burst pacing, EP studies.

1980s  

Montefiore leads enrollment for the first TIMI studies, along with Brigham, Duke and Cleveland Clinic.

2010-  

Einstein/Montefiore continues to be a center for excellence in cardiac care, training and research.

Click here to log in