The Department of Family and Social Medicine was created at Montefiore Medical Center in 1978, and established as an academic department at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 1992. The Department has played an important and unique role in the development of clinical care and training in urban family medicine, and been nationally recognized for its efforts. The Residency Program in Social Medicine, which is overseen by the Department, has likewise been a model of training and education in the preparation of physicians to work in underserved areas.
Our Department seeks to combine clinical excellence with a social and community-oriented perspective, with the goal of serving a large and diverse patient population throughout the Bronx.
Both Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine have committed significant resources toward the further development of our Department, with a special emphasis on the growth of an academic and research agenda. An important priority for us now is to integrate a vigorous research program together with excellent teaching and comprehensive clinical care on many levels.
Our departmental mission is to improve the health of underserved communities in the Bronx and beyond, we strive to:
- Provide exemplary community-oriented primary care and preventive services across the life cycle;
- Train outstanding primary care physicians who integrate the biological, psychological, and social dimensions of health;
- Generate new knowledge and innovations in primary care, medical education, and population health;
- Advocate for public health, social justice, and health equality; and
- Honor our diversity in the practice of mutual respect, collaboration, and healing relationships.
We are committed to realizing these goals, and have many exciting and productive activities underway which are helping us to move forward with our plans. We welcome inquiries and collaboration from all of our colleagues, and look forward to expanding the leadership role of our Department in the field of urban family medicine. We hope that our Website can convey some of the many unique aspects of what our Department has to offer, and we invite you to find out more about us.