- Professor of Anesthesiology
- Director of Anesthesia Research
- Principle Investigator, Laboratory for Neuropathogenesis and Remediation
- Determine whether environmental toxicant exposure can accelerate endogenous disease processes
- Decipher the role of unsaturated aldehyde electrophiles (acrolein, 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal) in Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative conditions
- Investigate electrophile-protein adduct formation as a molecular mechanism in neurotoxicity and neurodegeneration
- Use quantum mechanical calculations to define the relative electrophilicity of chemical toxicants and the nucleophilicity of their macromolecular targets
- Develop 1,3-dicarbonyl enolate nucleophiles as pharmacotherapeutic approaches to neurodegenerative states
- American Chemical Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society of Toxicology
- International Society for Neurochemistry
Funding: Current and Pending
Title: The Nerve Terminal as a Site of Action for Type-2 Alkenes
Title: Evaluation of 1,3-Dicarbonyl Cytoprotection in Cisplatin Neurotoxicity
The Selenoproteome as a Target for Electrophile Toxicants
- Member, Toxicology Study Section II (NIEHS): October, 1994 - June, 1998
- JIFSAN/NCFST Workshop on Acrylamide in Food; Toxicology and Metabolic Consequences Working Group, Chicago, IL, October, 28-30, 2002.
- JIFSAN/NCFST Workshop on Acrylamide in Food; Toxicology and Metabolic Consequences Working Group, Chicago, IL, April, 13-15, 2004.
- National Institutes of Environmental Health Superfund program, Ad Hoc reviewer, Research Triangle Park, NC, October 4-6, 2004, September 14-15, 2005, September 24-27, 2007, October 11-12, 2011
- EPA Science Advisory Board (SAB) Acrylamide Reivew Panel; November, 2007
- NIH Neurotoxicology-Alcohol Study Section – Member July 1, 2011 – June 30, 2016.
- LoPachin RM, Rudy TA, Yaksh TL (1981). An Improved Method for Chronic Catheterization of the Rat Spinal Subarachnoid Space. Physiol. Behav 27: 559-561.
- LoPachin RM, Lowery J, Eichberg J, Kirkpatrick J, Cartwright J, Saubermann AJ (1988). Distribution of Elements in Rat Peripheral Axons and Nerve Cell Bodies Determined by X-Ray Microprobe Analysis. J Neurochem 51, 764-775.
- LoPachin RM, Stys PK. (1995) Elemental Composition and Water Content of Rat Optic Nerve Myelinated Axons and Glial Cells: Effect of In Vitro Anoxia and Reoxygenation. J Neurosci 15:6735-6746.
- Taylor CP, Weber ML, Gaughan CL, Lehning EJ, LoPachin RM (1999). Oxygen/glucose Deprivation in Hippocampal Slices: Altered Intraneuronal Elemental Composition Predicts Structural and Functional Damage. J Neurosci 19, 619-629.
- LoPachin RM, Gaughan CL, Kaneko Y, Kelly TM, Shi R, Blight AR (1999). Experimental Spinal Cord Injury: Characterization of Elemental Concentrations and Water Contents in Axons and Neuroglia. J Neurophysiol 82, 2143-2153.
- Lehning EJ, Balaban CD, Ross JF, Reid MA, LoPachin RM (2002). Acrylamide Neuropathy: I. Spatiotemporal Characteristics of Nerve Cell Damage in Cerebellum. NeuroToxicology 23, 397-414, 2002.
- LoPachin RM, Jortner BS, Reid ML, Monir A (2005). g-Diketone Central Neuropathy: Quantitative Analysis of Cytoskeletal Components in Myelinated Axons of the Rat Rubrospinal Tract. NeuroToxicology 26, 1021-1030.
- LoPachin RM, He D, Soma D (2006). Acrylamide Inhibits Dopamine Uptake in Rat Striatal Synaptic Vesicles. Toxicol Sci 89, 224-234.
- LoPachin RM, Geohagen BC, Gavin T, Das S (2007). Neurotoxic Mechanisms of Electrophilic Type-2 Alkenes: Soft-Soft Interactions Described by Quantum Mechanical Parameters. Toxicol. Sci. 98, 561-570.
- LoPachin RM, Gavin T, Geohagen BC (2009). Synaptosomal Toxicity and Nucleophilic Targets of 4-Hydroxy-2-Nonenal. Toxicol. Sci. 107, 171-181.
- Zhang L, Gavin T, DeCaprio AP, LoPachin RM (2010). g-Diketone Neuropathy: Analysis of Cytoskeletal Motors and Highways in CNS Axons. Toxicol. Sci. 117: 180-189.
- Martyniuk CJ, Fang B, Koomen JM, Gavin T, LoPachin RM, Barber DS (2011). Molecular Mechanism of Glyceraldehyde-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Inactivation by a,b-Unsaturated Carbonyl Derivatives. Chem. Res. Toxicol.24: 2302-2311.
- LoPachin RM, Gavin T, DeCaprio AP, Barber DS (2012). Application of the Hard and Soft, Acids and Bases Theory to Toxicant-Target Interactions. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 25, 239-251.
Laboratory for Molecular Neuropathogenesis and Remediation
Montefiore Medical Center
Department of Anesthesiology
Moses Research Tower – 701
111 E. 210th St.
Bronx, NY1046 7