Ms. Jain's research project was aimed at "Molecular epidemiology of Indian Cryptococcus neoformans isolates" and "Phenotypic switching in C. neoformans var. gattii". She benefited from the techniques learned during her stay in AECOM and applied them to her thesis research. The collaborative research that Ms. Jain conducted with Dr. Bettina Fries as the US mentor, led to 5 publications (3 original and 2 review articles) in J. Clinical Microbiology, Infection & Immunity, Microbiology, FEMS Yeast Res. and Appl. Environ. Microbiol. Subsequent to defending her thesis, Dr. Jain returned to US and joined Dr. Fries laboratory as a post-doctoral fellow to establish the mechanism of phenotypic switching in C. neoformans. She has been successful as post-doctoral fellow with 8 additional publications and two travel awards (ASM meeting' 2006 and Belfer travel award' 2008) since entering Dr. Fries laboratory. After completing her post- doctoral training, she plans to return to India to establish her own fungal pathogenesis research program.
Awards and Fellowships
- Meghna Krishan Baveja Award for Best paper
- ICMR Senior Research Fellowship, 2003-2005
Publications from AITRP Research
- N. Jain, U. Banerjee. Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists, Delhi Chapter meeting held in 2003 at Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi
- N. Jain, U. Banerjee, S. P. Chauhan and B. Fries. Microevolution in clinical isolates of C. neoformans. MO-8. Microcon-2005, Oct 20 – 23, 2005, Chennai, India.
- N. Jain, B.L. Wickes, S.M Keller, J. Fu, A. Casadevall, U. Banerjee, and B.C. Fries. The molecular epidemiology of clinical Cryptococcus neoformans strains from India. V-10: 203. 6th International conference on Cryptococcus and cryptococcosis, Boston, USA; June 2005.
- N. Jain, U. Banerjee, B. Fries. Phenotypic switching in a clinical Cryptococcus neoformans var. gattii: changes in virulence and promotes dissemination. E-19: 129. 6th International conference on Cryptococcus and cryptococcosis, Boston, USA; June 2005.
- N. Jain, B.L. Wickes, S.M Keller, J. Fu, A. Casadevall, P. Jain, M. A. Ragan, U. Banerjee, B.C. Fries. The molecular epidemiology of clinical Cryptococcus neoformans strains from India. J Clin. Microbiol 2005: 43 (11): 5733-5742.
- Jain, N., Li Li, D.C. Mc Fadden, U. Banerjee, X. Wang, E. Cook, and B.C. Fries. (2006) Phenotypic Switching in a Cryptococcus neoformans variety gattii strain is associated with changes in virulence and promotes dissemination to the central nervous system. Infect Immun. 74:896 – 903.
- Jain, N., A. Guerrero, B. C. Fries. Phenotypic switching and its implications for the pathogenesis of Cryptococcus neoformans. (2006) FEMS Yeast Res. 6:480-8.
- Jain, N., R. Kohli, E. Cook, P. Gialanella, T. Chang, and B. C. Fries (2007) Biofilm Formation by and Antifungal Susceptibility of Candida isolates from Urine. App. Environ. Microbiol. 73:1697-1703.
- Guerrero, A., N. Jain, D. L. Goldman and B. C. Fries (2006) Phenotypic switching in Cryptococcus neoformans. Microbiology, 152:3–9.