The initial H-1B Petition may be approved for up to three years. Extensions of stay up to a maximum of three additional years are permissible, for a total of 6 years. The sponsoring department should submit the following documents to the Office of International Services (OIS), Belfer Building, Room 1201 at least 6 months in advance of the visa expiration:
- Completed and signed Applicant Worksheet with a copy of the applicant’s CV, copy of highest degree (translated & evaluated, if necessary), copies of passport, I-94 Card, all form I-797 approval notices. Copies of the applicants 4 most recent pay slips from their employment with Einstein.
- Completed and signed Department Application for Sponsorship of H-1B.
- Letter of Support signed by the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor.
- Check made payable to Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $325.00.
- If the department will be paying the fee, a check request will need to be prepared and submit it to the Grant Accounting Office along with a copy of the USCIS Fee Schedule.
- Dependents: copy of passport, completed Form I-539 with all supporting documents and check in the amount of $290.00 made payable to United States Citizenship & Immigration Services. Please note: the Form I-539 is filled out in the dependents name.
The OIS will review the documents and mail them to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services. The H-1B applicant and the sponsoring department will be notified of the approval of the extension of stay. As long as a timely application for extension has been filed, the applicant may continue to work for up to 240 days past their current expiration date.