Office of International Services (OIS)

Employing an H-1B Temporary Worker - Transferring From Another University in the U.S.

For individuals in H-1B status currently working at another University in the U.S., please allow at least 2-3 months for processing the application. The individual may begin working once the Office of International Services (OIS) receives proof of delivery of the application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

The sponsoring department should submit the following documents to the (OIS), Belfer Building, Room 1205, 1300 Morris Park Ave., Bronx, NY 10461.

  1. Completed and signed Applicant Worksheet with a copy of the applicant’s CV, copy of highest degree (translated & evaluated, if necessary), copies of passport, I-94 Card, all form I-797 approval notices. Copies of the applicants 4 most recent pay slips from their current employer.
  2. Completed and signed Department Application for Sponsorship of H-1B.
  3. Letter of Support signed by the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor.
  4. Check made payable to Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $460.00.
  5. A University check made payable to the Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $500.00 for the Anti-Fraud Fee. You will need to prepare a check request and submit it to the Grant Accounting Office along with a copy of the USCIS Fee Schedule.

The OIS will review the documents and mail them to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services. Upon receipt of the original receipt notice from the USCIS, the OIS will advise the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor that the individual may begin employment.

Spouses and unmarried dependent children (under 21 years of age) are eligible to apply for H-4 visa status. Their applications should be filed together with the H-1B Temporary Worker’s application and requires a completed USCIS Form I-539, check for $370 made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, copy of all immigration documents, passport, and other supporting documentation.

Click here to log in