Office of International Services (OIS)

How to Apply Abroad for a J-1 Visa

Where to Apply:

The Research Scholar applicant should normally apply for a J-1 Visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction over his/her place of residence. It is advisable to check with the U.S. Consular Office for specific procedures:

What to Bring:

A prospective J-1 Research Scholar should present the following to the U.S. consular office:

  • The original form DS-2019, executed by the Einstein Responsible Officer, and signed by the Research Scholar.
  • Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses.
  • Evidence of English ability sufficient for exchange program.
  • Evidence of residence abroad and intent to depart the U.S. after completion of the program.
  • Passport
  • Form DS-160, "Nonimmigrant Visa Application" 
  • Photographs
  • Machine-readable Visa (MRV) surcharge fee
  • Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable)

The Consular Officer will evaluate the documents, and if found eligible, will return the DS-2019 Form to the Research Scholar and will affix the J-1 Visa to the applicant's passport.

Click here to log in