Office of International Services (OIS)

Dependents of J-1 Research Scholars

Dependents of J-1 Research Scholars 

Spouses and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) are eligible to apply for J-2 Visa status. J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for an ‘Employment Authorization Document’ (EAD) from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services, as long as it is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1. 

An ‘Application for Employment Authorization’ is made on Form I-765. For question 20, the Eligibility Classification for J-2 work authorization is (c) (5).   Please read the instructions on the form carefully to ensure that you are submitting the required documentation with the application.  

Send the completed form along with: 

A copy of the DS-2019 forms for the J-1 and J-2.

A copy of each of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Document.  This is obtained from 

A copy of each of your passports.

A check in the amount of $410.00 made payable to the US Department of Homeland Security.

Two passport-style photographs.

A letter indicating the need for the work authorization and that the employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes. A sample letter is available to be used as guide in the preparation of your materials. 

A completed form g-1145 to receive email notification of the receipt of the application. 

Send the completed application and supporting documentation to :  

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067


The processing time for J-2 applications may take 60-90 days for issuance of the EAD card. Please keep this timetable in mind when filing for either an initial or extension of work authorization. 


After the EAD has been received from the USCIS, J-2 dependents may apply for a Social Security Number. Unlike the J-1 Research Scholar, the J-2 dependent is subject to payment of Social Security taxes. For further information on federal & state tax laws, please consult the IRS Publication 519, ‘United States Tax Guide for Aliens’  

Click here to log in