Office of International Services (OIS)

How to Apply Abroad For An H-1B Visa

Where to Apply:

Once the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) approves the petition for an H-1B visa, they will send the original approval notice to the Office of International Services (OIS). The USCIS will also notify the requested U. S. Consulate abroad via cable. The applicant should apply for the H-1B visa at that U. S. Consulate or Embassy.

Applicants are strongly advised to wait for the original approval notice before scheduling an appointment at the U.S. Consulate and to have the visa placed in their passport before booking airline tickets.

What to Bring:

The original petition approval notice will be sent to the Temporary Worker abroad by the Faculty Sponsor. Once the Temporary Worker receives the original petition papers, they are to present it, along with the following documents, to the U.S. Consulate:

It is advisable to check with the US Consulate or Embassy for specific procedures.

Click here to log in