Office of International Services (OIS)

Employing an H-1B Temporary Worker - Change of Status to H-1B

For individuals currently in the U.S. in another visa status, a change of status application is necessary. Please allow up to 6 months for routine processing of the application. The sponsoring department should submit the following documents to the Office of International Services (OIS), Belfer Building, Room 1205:

  1. Completed and signed Applicant Worksheet with a copy of the applicant’s CV, copy of highest degree (translated & evaluated, if necessary), copy of passport, all previous I-20's, DS-2019 forms (I-612 Waiver, if applicable), I-797 approval notices, Employment Authorization Documents, and copies of the applicants 4 most recent pay slips from their current employer.
  2. Completed and signed Department Application for Sponsorship of H-1B.
  3. Letter of Support signed by the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor.
  4. Check made payable to Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $460.00.
  5. A University check made payable to the Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $500.00 for the Anti-Fraud Fee. You will need to prepare a check request and submit it to the Grant Accounting Office along with a copy of the USCIS Fee Schedule.

The normal processing time to receive approval of an H-1B is approximately 4-5 months. If you intend to offer employment to the applicant sooner than that, you will need to request premium processing for this case. Expediting the case will reduce to processing time to about 2 months and requires an additional check for $1,225.

The OIS will review the documents and mail them to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Upon approval of the petition, the USCIS will send the original approval notice to the OIS and the OIS will advise the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor of the approval of the visa.

Spouses and unmarried dependent children (under 21 years of age) are eligible to apply for H-4 visa status. Their applications should be made together with the H-1B Temporary Worker’s application and requires a completed USCIS Form I-539, check for $370 made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, copy of all immigration documents, passport, and other supporting documentation.

Applicants not presently working at the University in other visa status must wait to begin employment until the original approval has been received from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services. You will be notified by the OIS once the approval notice has been received from the USCIS.

Individuals currently working at the University in another visa status will need to have the original approval from the USCIS to continue their employment.

Click here to log in