Office of International Services (OIS)

F-1 Prospective Students

Coming from Abroad:

Once accepted as a student to one of our programs, the OIS will prepare a Form I-20 for you, the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status. 

This form will be sent to you, along with instructions on making the application for the F-1 Visa. Applications should be made at the U.S. Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of residence. Please visit the U.S. Department of State website for important information on applying for visa and the website of the U.S Consulate where you will make the application.

What to Bring:

As a prospective F-1 student you should present to the U.S. Consular Officer:

  • Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, signed by you and the Designated School Official for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
  • Your letter of acceptance from the Graduate Office or the Medical School.
  • Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses.
  • Evidence of English ability sufficient for your course of study.
  • Evidence of intent to depart the U.S. after completion of studies.
  • Passport valid for at least six months into the future.
  • Form DS-156 "Nonimmigrant Visa Application" and Form DS-158 "Work History for Nonimmigrant visa applicant".
  • Photograph.
  • Application fee (currently $200.00).

In addition, you should be prepared to provide the following:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous schools attended.
  • Scores from standardized tests.

Upon approval of the visa application, the Consular Officer will place the F-1 Visa stamp in your passport, noting the validity period and number of entries allowed.

Regulations now allow you to enter the U.S. up to 30 days in advance of your program start date.

Admission to the U.S.:

Upon arrival at the U.S. port of entry, you need to present to the Immigration Officer, your passport, and Form I-20. The Immigration Officer will return your passport and the Form I-20 to you. You should always keep possession of these documents.

Students are admitted for a period of time known as duration of status (D/S). Item #5 on your Form I-20 indicates your end date. This is the date that you are expected to complete your program.

Change of Status to F-1:

Once accepted as a student to one of our programs, the OIS will prepare a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for you. You must file this form with the USCIS along with:

A completed USCIS Form I-539,  the appropriate fee, other supporting documentation listed in the instructions to:

USCIS Vermont Service Center ,75 Lower Weldon Street, St. Albans, VT 05479-0001 

In about three weeks, you will receive a receipt notice from the USCIS which will contain your Case Number. This Case Number will begin with the letters "EAC." Once you have this Case Number you will be able to check the status of your case on-line.

Eligibility to begin a program is dependent upon approval from the USCIS. As processing times for a change of status can take six months or longer, you should always keep in contact with the OIS.


If you have been accepted to one of the Einstein programs and are currently in the US attending another school, you will need to complete a Transfer Enrollment Status Form.  

Upon receipt of this completed form, the OIS will work with your current school to effect the transfer of your F-1 student status. The OIS will contact you regarding the transfer.

Arriving at Einstein:

Within 10 days of your arrival to the United States, you are required to check in at the OIS. Call the OIS to schedule an appointment, and bring with you:

  • Your passport
  • Your I-94 Card
  • Your Form I-20.

The passport and forms of your dependents (if applicable).

F-1 Student Links

F-1 Current Students 

Prospective Students  

F-1 Travel  


Program Extension  

Employment (Optional Practical Training)

Social Security  

Click here to log in