Where to Apply:
The Research Scholar applicant should normally apply for a J-1 Visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction over his/her place of residence. It is advisable to check with the U.S. Consular Office for specific procedures:
What to Bring:
A prospective J-1 Research Scholar should present the following to the U.S. consular office:
- The original form DS-2019, executed by the Einstein Responsible Officer, and signed by the Research Scholar.
- Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses.
- Evidence of English ability sufficient for exchange program.
- Evidence of residence abroad and intent to depart the U.S. after completion of the program.
- Form DS-160, "Nonimmigrant Visa Application"
- Machine-readable Visa (MRV) surcharge fee
- Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable)
The Consular Officer will evaluate the documents, and if found eligible, will return the DS-2019 Form to the Research Scholar and will affix the J-1 Visa to the applicant's passport.