As an F-1 Student, you have been admitted to the U.S. for a period of time known as duration of stay (D/S). In the event that you cannot complete your program by the date listed in section 5 on your Form I-20, you will need to apply for an extension of stay. This needs be done at least 60 days before your completion date.
To be eligible for an extension of stay:
- You must have maintained full-time F-1 status.
- The delay in completing your studies was caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as a change in research topic, unexpected research problems or a documented illness.
To apply for the extension of stay:
- Complete the F-1 Program Extension Form and have it signed by your Academic Advisor, and either the Assistant Director of the Graduate Division or the Associate Dean for Students of the Medical School.
- Submit the Extension Form to the OIS.
- The OIS will set up an appointment with you and will provide you with a new Form I-20.
- Bring your old Form I-20 with you to the appointment and, if your delay was due to medical reasons, a letter from your medical doctor.