Certificate of Fitness Application Process
This site describes how to apply for Certificate of Fitness as a Laboratory Supervisor through the New York City Fire Department. The regulation requiring Certificate of Fitness for laboratories in New York City is under provisions outlined in "The Rules of the City of New York", Title 3, Chapter 10-01, section (c) Laboratory Safety, item (1).
The New York City Fire Department is currently allowing Einstein to establish a self-certification program for issuing Certificates of Fitness for Chemical Laboratory Supervisor providing the following conditions are met:
- Applicant must have an advanced degree such as a B.S., M.S., Ph.D. or M.D.
- Applicant with a BS must have 2 years experience post baccalaureate. Any experience gained prior to the receipt of the degree will not be accepted toward meeting the self-certification requirements. (No time requirement is needed for an M.S., Ph.D. or M.D.)
- Applicant must be familiar with the Fire Protection and Fire Suppression Systems at Einstein.
- Applicant must be familiar with the locations of MSDS Stations at Einstein.
- Applicant must be familiar with the information present in the C-14 study material for Chemical Laboratory Supervisors.
- Applicant must complete Laboratory Information. You must register before attending the C14 training session.
- Applicant must submit one passport photo with light blue background. Photo will be taken in EH&S.
- Applicant must submit a completed and signed FDNY Certificate of Fitness Application (A-20).
- Applicant must FDNY C14 Quiz.
- Once completed, please contact Melanie Brown for an appointment to continue processing your C14 application.
If you do not wish to take advantage of the self-certification program and would rather go to the Bureau of Fire Prevention in Brooklyn to take the test, please contact Melanie Brown at X4152.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Melanie Brown at X4152 or email Melanie Brown.